New Addition Dog Face Puffer Always Die

I love dog face puffer but I dunno why my new dog face puffer always die of ich while other new additions are ok. So far 2 dog face have died already.

I have another dog face puffer, porcupine puffer, clown fish, gobies, etc. in the tank now.

I'm still determined to get another dog face puffer but how can I make sure that it will live?

• SRC Member

hi, if it dies of ich, would advice to quarantine them first before introducing to main display tank. This way, you can feed it and observe that it is well free of ich or other diseases. Then when introducing to main tank, better to put in a large submerge container, preferably those acrylic ones with holes. then its fellow tank mates can 'introduce' themselves.

dogface always eats mostly anything. likes mussels. also, it likes to have a nice hiding spot where it can feel safe.

I think it's ich because it started off with some tiny white spots at first and when it died, it's skin was leathery and it just shrunk and it's eyes was cloudy. It happened within 2 days. Ich can kill so fast? Could it be due to stress?

• 2 weeks later...
Where did u buy yr dog face from? How much? Didn't see at CF b4
Sometimes they have lotsa them so you have to go often to check out what stock they have. Depending on the size, I have 1 yellow tail dogface for about $3.50 and the other spotted dogface for about $7 - both also about 2inches long.