Non-toxic beginner friendly corals

dnwolf

Hello fellow reefers!

So i've read online about corals and most of them are toxic , especially zoanthids and palys ... they contain a very potent toxin known as palytoxins that is the second most toxic naturally occuring compund...

Being a typical kia si Singaporean , can someone recommend me some of the non-toxic hardy corals ? No stinging corals plsssss ... Thanks guys

• SRC Member

Hello fellow reefers!

So i've read online about corals and most of them are toxic , especially zoanthids and palys ... they contain a very potent toxin known as palytoxins that is the second most toxic naturally occuring compund...

Being a typical kia si Singaporean , can someone recommend me some of the non-toxic hardy corals ? No stinging corals plsssss ... Thanks guys

Most of the corals dont sting us..They are harmless i can assure you...That Palytoxin you was reading about is when someone frags Zoas and squirts..Thats when its poisones..but handling them in the tank no Probs..Dont worry.. :)

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Yes, some zoas/ palys do release some toxic when they re stressed, either by handling them or disturb them. It is a natural defense. During any handling, it is best to wear rubber gloves & safety spec. After handling, we must wash our hands/ tools used with liquid soap. U can't be sure & it is always better to be on the safe side rather thsn ending up in hospital, putting your/ your family members life at risk. All corals do have some slime or defence mechanism. Good practise is always better to ensure we enjoy the hobby, reefing, rather than restrict ourselves to the corals that we can keep. A rubber gloves, safety specs & liqiud soap does not cost that much compared to corals & human lives. Also, handling them in water also pose some risk as they do released the toxics into the water when your hands are still inside. Wash your hands & arms.

Most of the corals dont sting us..They are harmless i can assure you...That Palytoxin you was reading about is when someone frags Zoas and squirts..Thats when its poisones..but handling them in the tank no Probs..Dont worry.. :)

What corals are those ?

• SRC Member

But still rem to wash your hands after handling them. Make it a good habit & i believe the feeling of sea water on your hands do not feel that good & the smell of the corals u have touched accidently.