Angels without chiller

Athier

Hello fellow reefers..

A tank with few live rocks...

Based on experiences and knowledge, are there any recommendations of Angel fishes that can be kept without using chiller?

At what maximum temperature it could survive?

Other various fishes like damsels and clownfishes kinds can also be mentioned here.

Thanks

Hello fellow reefers.. A tank with few live rocks... Based on experiences and knowledge, are there any recommendations of Angel fishes that can be kept without using chiller? At what maximum temperature it could survive? Other various fishes like damsels and clownfishes kinds can also be mentioned here. Thanks
I never have luck with Angels... I have more luck with clownfish, puffers, foxface and inverts. So IMO it's difficult to keep Angels...

• Moderators

Generally Angels need a well oxygenated environment.

As temp get cooler, there are more dissolved oxygen available.

Try not to have the temp going beyond 29. The exception will be for those deep water angels(rarer type) which need colder water.

Most or all Philippines and Indo shipment Angels will be fine.

Also, take note of salinity as well. the higher it is. the less oxygen is available too.

If you don't use a ATO for top up. the salinity may raise if you forgot to top up fresh water.

Happy reefing!!!

Tom

I feel getting a good specimen from a good lfs is critical. The catchment method and quarantine of the fish initially will play a big part to the fish long term health. Fishes can slowly get used to temperature. However keeping them alive doesnt mean their growth and colour will be as good as those kept under more suitable temperature.

I never have luck with Angels... I have more luck with clownfish, puffers, foxface and inverts. So IMO it's difficult to keep Angels...

I've thought so and would want to learn more about it.

Thanks for the sharing bro.

Generally Angels need a well oxygenated environment.

As temp get cooler, there are more dissolved oxygen available.

Try not to have the temp going beyond 29. The exception will be for those deep water angels(rarer type) which need colder water.

Most or all Philippines and Indo shipment Angels will be fine.

Also, take note of salinity as well. the higher it is. the less oxygen is available too.

If you don't use a ATO for top up. the salinity may raise if you forgot to top up fresh water.

Happy reefing!!!

Thank you for the details provided.

Care to share the indo and Philippines types of angels that sounds fine?

I feel getting a good specimen from a good lfs is critical.The catchment method and quarantine of the fish initially will play a big part to the fish long term health.Fishes can slowly get used to temperature. However keeping them alive doesnt mean their growth and colour will be as good as those kept under more suitable temperature.

Indeed agreed that bro.

My angel cannot survive long without chiller. My tank temperature is around 29 deg C, which my angel survive for around 5 months and it die without reason. Anyone know what happens? I run fluidised reactor to keep my nitrate at zero, and yet the angel cannot survive long. No need to say for butterfly, worst.

My angel cannot survive long without chiller. My tank temperature is around 29 deg C, which my angel survive for around 5 months and it die without reason. Anyone know what happens? I run fluidised reactor to keep my nitrate at zero, and yet the angel cannot survive long. No need to say for butterfly, worst.
As least yours can survive for five months... Mine only survive for less than 36hrs.

• 2 weeks later...

I read angels need lower temperature to maintain their colour. Any true?

Yes Bro, I've also read about it. Though it survived at temperature of about 30deg, the colour may not be the same with those with lower temp. I'm also thinking that this will be subjective to other factors like types of angels, water parameters, food etc. .. just a 2 cents from me..

Peace...

Hi bro

my experience as follows

one year old 5ft fowlr equipped with only eheim DOC 9006 protein skimmer n Aquazonic UV sterlilizer 9w

and the following soldiers

2 x orange skunk clownfish - 6 months - ML

1x emperor - 1 year

1x Juv Koran Angel - 4 months - reefer (bro Vtech)

1x nigger trigger - 6 months - ML

1x Picasso trigger - 4 months - reefer

1x 6bar angel - 1 year - ML

1x grey angel - 1 month - TFC

So far, so good except for the grey which got mouldy fins recently due to bad water. But all fishes still ate greedily daily.

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Tunze DOC 9006 DOC protein skimmer

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

• SRC Member

Hi bro

my experience as follows

one year old 5ft fowlr equipped with only eheim DOC 9006 protein skimmer n Aquazonic UV sterlilizer 9w

and the following soldiers

2 x orange skunk clownfish - 6 months - ML

1x emperor - 1 year

1x Juv Koran Angel - 4 months - reefer (bro Vtech)

1x nigger trigger - 6 months - ML

1x Picasso trigger - 4 months - reefer

1x 6bar angel - 1 year - ML

1x grey angel - 1 month - TFC

So far, so good except for the grey which got mouldy fins recently due to bad water. But all fishes still ate greedily daily.

Bro, care to share ur tank water temperature?..cheers

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Hi bro

temp is 29.6 to 30.5

Not really encouraged at all but due to space, I really have no choice. I am looking at downsizing my 5ft soon and going on a 3 ft but to add in chiller... alternatively is to add in a fan... I have a small fan inside my sump to cool the water but it doesn't really help..

Oh yes, sanity is 1.021.... im trying to lower it somemore.. hopefully to achieve 1.018...

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Tunze DOC 9006 DOC protein skimmer

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

• SRC Member

Hi,

I had a 422 tank with sump. Sump with Skimz Protein Skimmer and Eheim return pump and FR for Biopellet. DT has LRs. Lighting using two 54W actinic special Blue I think.

Has kept one blue face, one Majestic, one Coral beauty, one yellow Angel. And some non angel fish (7 more).

I just used two big fan mounted on top of sump for blowing. Temp was kept around 29.8 to 30.5 Celsius.

The angels were with me for about one year plus before the tank leaked and has to let go of all fishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Good to hear that plus minus 30°c is ok for angel..my tank temp now is 27.5°c, using a blower

fan from madpetz, mount on the DT..intend to off the fan n see how high the temp will go to..any temp below 30°c shd b fine then..happy reefing

@ 291213

Good to hear that plus minus 30°c is ok for angel..my tank temp now is 27.5°c, using a blower

fan from madpetz, mount on the DT..intend to off the fan n see how high the temp will go to..any temp below 30°c shd b fine then..happy reefing

My tank used to be around 30 DegC but my Angels and other fishes kept dying one after another till I brought the temp down... Hope you'll have better luck...

• SRC Member

My tank used to be around 30 DegC but my Angels and other fishes kept dying one after another till I brought the temp down... Hope you'll have better luck...

That's sad to hear that they kept dying one after another..I will try to keep the temp below 29°c..maintain good current flow in tank..ensure they eat greedily..thank bro for the hope..wish u good luck too..happy Reefing

@ 291213