Pest Crab

Its a Hairy crab. Pilumnus vespertilio. Just did a search on it,hairy-crab2.jpg

From http://tidechaser.blogspot.com/2010/02/semakau-walk-on-29-jan-2010.html)

When i first saw this pic, i got a shock, followed by a good laugh. Looks like crab version of Chewbacca

Thanks for information.

This crab ate my sand star, one of my bamboo shark and few of my fishes.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Bro, can PM me what trap u use ? I have 2 to catch in me tank !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share with you on my experience with the pest crabs when I first started Reefing.

Some were caught with half cut inverted plastic bottle top.

2 others were speared when they got too big and exposed themselves easily at night.

The last one was brilliant.Hid itself inside a slit on a steep rock, surrounded by zoas. Never lured by any traps or baits.

Finally I decided to push pieces of stocking into the slit as well as other possible escape routes. I was hoping it will get its legs entangled to the stocking.

Sure enough, I didn't see the crab again and not a single zoas was disturbed too.

Years later, I found one of the

stocking out in the tank.

I guessed the crab met its Waterloo there.

The only crab that I have now is strawberry Acro crabs.

Think, you can win the battle.

If not now, later , when the crab gets too big and has no place to hide.

When they get bigger, you can see their pincers with body hidden. Using twizzers, destroy their pincers, without them which, the crab will not be able to get food and will perish.

Cheers

Yt

• SRC Member

Thanks for the encouragement YT ! I m doing battle with crabs now... Caught a small one but was recently shocked by a bigger one hiding among the rocks that are quite inaccessible ... So now I wait for it to appear in the open... But I will be humane, when I catch it, it will be put in my sump with my 3 inch hermit crab :)

Hi,

Anyone seen this spec of crab before?

I found it in my rock.

I have never seen such a Species and ya, it is a pest. Hermit Crab, you can find many different ways on Google or YouTube to avoid such species (pest) in future. If you wish to know more about similar creatures click here.

• 2 months later...

Firstlyi apologise for digging up an old thread. But facing problem with a hitchhiker crab. It really well camoflague. Tried using the inverted plastic bottle trick but didnt work. Hope that senior reefers can share other method to catch this crab which i think is called 'teddy bear crab'

• SRC Member

Firstlyi apologise for digging up an old thread. But facing problem with a hitchhiker crab. It really well camoflague. Tried using the inverted plastic bottle trick but didnt work. Hope that senior reefers can share other method to catch this crab which i think is called 'teddy bear crab'

Has it down any damage? If not, why bother?

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)