nitrate reducing filter pads?

ml708

Remember to check your skimmer, maybe you need to re-calibrate the setting after you add in this pad
Hopefully this will reduce the nitrates... So far my skimmer doesn't really remove a lot of gunk although nitrate is high...

• SRC Member

How long have you been using it for? Any result?

From what I understand it acts as both a chemical and mechanical filter. It contains nitrate absorbing chemical matrices iirc, but I could be wrong

How long have you been using it for? Any result? From what I understand it acts as both a chemical and mechanical filter. It contains nitrate absorbing chemical matrices iirc, but I could be wrong
I started using it since last Sat but I cannot detect any reduction in nitrate level... Maybe need longer time?

Personally, I don't recommend the use of such filter pads, unless its a Fowlr system. Main concern is a lot of products don't mention what elements are being absorbed. Chances are it will absorb both beneficial and non beneficial elements in the tank. Have considered this before and done my research. On top of that, maintenance to upkeep the usage of this product will be much higher as compared to regular disposable filter wool. I would look for an alternative way to reduce nitrates. Frequent water changes, siphoning of sandbeds, turkey basting your rocks to remove detritus, fine tuning of skimmer (correct water lvl, water/ air ratio), use of probiotic dosing etc etc. List goes on.

The main concern here is to identify the cause of high nitrates. Use of such filter wool is just a temporary situation that is masking the real issue. Unless you plan on using it forever.

That aside, AM carries a very good brand...Poly filter (when i was considering using this method) for those keen on trying out such filter pads on your system.

post-18626-0-69316900-1401283353.jpg

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Could be that you are doing too heavy feeding to observe a noticeable effect, or that the pad is not effective. Usually such things will work within 5 days. Perhaps you could cut down on feeding and wait about 3 days more to see results. For me personally though I found the pads way too expensive especially since I change my filter wool every week. My favourite to use is still AZ-NO3 wrt nitrate removal. It does it's job everytime but first time users need around 2 weeks to observe results with it.

• SRC Member
Personally, I don't recommend the use of such filter pads, unless its a Fowlr system. Main concern is a lot of products don't mention what elements are being absorbed. Chances are it will absorb both beneficial and non beneficial elements in the tank. Have considered this before and done my research. On top of that, maintenance to upkeep the usage of this product will be much higher as compared to regular disposable filter wool. I would look for an alternative way to reduce nitrates. Frequent water changes, siphoning of sandbeds, turkey basting your rocks to remove detritus, fine tuning of skimmer (correct water lvl, water/ air ratio), use of probiotic dosing etc etc. List goes on. The main concern here is to identify the cause of high nitrates. Use of such filter wool is just a temporary situation that is masking the real issue. Unless you plan on using it forever. That aside, AM carries a very good brand...Poly filter (when i was considering using this method) for those keen on trying out such filter pads on your system. attachicon.gifhttp://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=213291'>poly filter.jpg
Wow looks good. It has good reviews on other forums too. Apparently it removes both nitrates and phosphates. Did you get a similar result? A great pity that it's so expensive though! Alittle off topic but I was wondering if it works in freshwater as well.

Wow looks good. It has good reviews on other forums too. Apparently it removes both nitrates and phosphates. Did you get a similar result? A great pity that it's so expensive though! Alittle off topic but I was wondering if it works in freshwater as well.

Yup its one of those more known products in marine, hence my choice at that time of consideration. Read many good reviews.

Personally, I didn't try it. I chose to go with algone. Due to the fact that if the poly filter gets clogged, it will need to be removed sooner than the life expectancy of the product. Algone can be kept till you notice it has a strong foul smell. I use algone only as a added safety measure. I don't depend on it as my main nitrate reducer. I may contradict myself on using a more natural approach. But its done its job since day one, and i only replace it once every two weeks. As always, 'why replace something that is not spoilt" theory.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member
Yup its one of those more known products in marine, hence my choice at that time of consideration. Read many good reviews. Personally, I didn't try it. I chose to go with algone. Due to the fact that if the poly filter gets clogged, it will need to be removed sooner than the life expectancy of the product. Algone can be kept till you notice it has a strong foul smell. I use algone only as a added safety measure. I don't depend on it as my main nitrate reducer. I may contradict myself on using a more natural approach. But its done its job since day one, and i only replace it once every two weeks. As always, 'why replace something that is not spoilt" theory.
Agreed fully with you. Apparently though for the poly filter people generally replace them only once every 1-2 months. Seems like a good idea to have if it really works as it's very maintenance free. Btw I must thank you on your algone suggestion. It did remove nitrates from my fw system. For saltwater not yet as I overdosed polyp booster :(

Could be that you are doing too heavy feeding to observe a noticeable effect, or that the pad is not effective. Usually such things will work within 5 days. Perhaps you could cut down on feeding and wait about 3 days more to see results. For me personally though I found the pads way too expensive especially since I change my filter wool every week. My favourite to use is still AZ-NO3 wrt nitrate removal. It does it's job everytime but first time users need around 2 weeks to observe results with it.
Already cut down on feeding to once a day leh...

Personally, I don't recommend the use of such filter pads, unless its a Fowlr system. Main concern is a lot of products don't mention what elements are being absorbed. Chances are it will absorb both beneficial and non beneficial elements in the tank. Have considered this before and done my research. On top of that, maintenance to upkeep the usage of this product will be much higher as compared to regular disposable filter wool. I would look for an alternative way to reduce nitrates. Frequent water changes, siphoning of sandbeds, turkey basting your rocks to remove detritus, fine tuning of skimmer (correct water lvl, water/ air ratio), use of probiotic dosing etc etc. List goes on. The main concern here is to identify the cause of high nitrates. Use of such filter wool is just a temporary situation that is masking the real issue. Unless you plan on using it forever. That aside, AM carries a very good brand...Poly filter (when i was considering using this method) for those keen on trying out such filter pads on your system. attachicon.gifhttp://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=213291'>poly filter.jpg
I'm not sure why my nitrates are so high... I have done WC from once a week to once every 4 days... Also do 50% to 70% WC... Turkey blasting my rocks also done... Added ATM's Outbreak, NO3PO4X... No success though my LS are all seems ok...

• SRC Member

What food are you feeding? Imo pellets are the least polluting of all foods. Coral food twice a week is good enough.

It's a good idea to check your bio balls for any detritus buildup and also any dead zones where decomposing matter could be gathering.

Your sand bed could also be harbouring lots of decaying matter especially if it's deep.

What food are you feeding? Imo pellets are the least polluting of all foods. Coral food twice a week is good enough. It's a good idea to check your bio balls for any detritus buildup and also any dead zones where decomposing matter could be gathering. Your sand bed could also be harbouring lots of decaying matter especially if it's deep.
Bro... Mine is a FOWLR tank and I'm feeding MP to my 4 puffers, a fox face po and a small lobster. No corals... The puffers are greedy and they will makan all the MP that I give (not a lot anyway) and the smaller pieces will be eaten by the face face and the lobster so very little uneaten food. Maybe detritus buildup could have cause the high nitrates but my skimmer also not getting a lot of gunk out... I'll try to clean my bio balls or remove it totally... Also "clean" my sump at the same time too...

• SRC Member
Bro... Mine is a FOWLR tank and I'm feeding MP to my 4 puffers, a fox face po and a small lobster. No corals... The puffers are greedy and they will makan all the MP that I give (not a lot anyway) and the smaller pieces will be eaten by the face face and the lobster so very little uneaten food. Maybe detritus buildup could have cause the high nitrates but my skimmer also not getting a lot of gunk out... I'll try to clean my bio balls or remove it totally... Also "clean" my sump at the same time too...
Possible that the tank has a high bioload for it's size. They are producing lots of waste, hence nitrate buildup as the waste decomposes. Might be that you need to tune your skimmer up alittle to get rid of more waste

• SRC Member

Bro Put Your Skimmer into Wetskim..

Perform Afew Waterchanges..

Dirt Where? Sump or Dt?

Doing Weekly+siphon out those dirts will keep everyone happy..

Since fowlr..Nitrate Levels Are less Cared for..But you will get Unwanted Algae..Feed Silversides bro less mess..

Cheers!

Rdgs Ash

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Bro Put Your Skimmer into Wetskim.. Perform Afew Waterchanges.. Dirt Where? Sump or Dt? Doing Weekly+siphon out those dirts will keep everyone happy.. Since fowlr..Nitrate Levels Are less Cared for..But you will get Unwanted Algae..Feed Silversides bro less mess.. Cheers! Rdgs Ash
Thanks for the advise bro... Dirt is in DT... Will try wetskim but I read that feeding fish meat to purcupine puffers can be fatal...

• SRC Member

Thanks for the advise bro... Dirt is in DT...Will try wetskim but I read that feeding fish meat to purcupine puffers can be fatal...

Meat? In fish? Sometimes Seafood Can carry bacterial Infections..Try cooking first..Bro if you say dirt in DT.. Maybe lack of flow..Increase your Flow Bro..Spotless DT. :)

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html