The slightly bigger common clown kill the smaller one...

Bought two common clownfish at $1 each in pasir ris.....

Saw them happily swimming together on the first two days..

One is extraordinary active whereas the other is very timid and always staying at one corner...Occasionally the lightly bigger one will go and "disturb" the other but not really creating any damage...

On the third day....when i got back from work...saw the smaller one..behaving strange..and notice the side of the body is bitten by the larger one and dying...

The larger one still continue to attack it and bite it when i am trying to find out what's wrong with the small one..

THIS FISH IS CRAZY! :(

It's a common behaviour of marine fish. If you see the small one always get bully, you should isolate the big one until the small one able to adapt to your tank environment. You may start to study the marine fish compatibility. Upon the clown fish establish their territory, even your hand also they attack if they feel threaten.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I guess your bigger clown is really going tough on the smaller. Sometimes they just want to establish hierarchy to be the dominant female. My unpaired clownfish also displayed some behavior but as soon as the female establish her status she start to go easy on her companion. Now they are already a spawning pair.

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

i understand that to pair two clown...i need to get one bigger one with a smaller one..

but then how to prevent the smaller one from being killed by the bigger one ? There's no way I can stop them because when I got back from work, the smaller one is almost dead.....

• 1 month later...