What should I do ?

Chan Si Liang

Hi guys

This is my very first post here ... I always want to try Marine setup ( currently freshwater setup) but didnt dare to as i know that a marine tank requires chiller, good light and etc ..

Just yesterday i accidentally bought a blue LED light that is suitable for a 1 feet cube tank (around $60) from Clementi ... I tried to sell it but no one is interested, so i am stuck between setting up Pico tank or put the light in the store room

Currently, i have some items

Red Sea Salt

HOF

UP Aqua PRO-LED-X-B

I just want a simple tank like 2 fishes with 2 shrimps ? Maybe some simple coral if possible? I read most of the posts under this section and was amazed by the pictures ... If i am setting up a new tank, should i get a IOS tank or a 1 feet cube tank ? A skimmer maybe ?

Any suggestion will do ? Thank you so much !!

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Hello there, welcome to this addictive hobby. Please allow this humble newbie to try to answer your question because I can't stand the silence. Maybe the sifus here will chip in later.

Option A, I guess would be a cube tank with your existing HOF. Pros: its the cheapest option. Cons: you won't have anywhere to hide your equipment should you decide to add in things like a skimmer, auto top-off, reactors...

Option B, the IOS tank. Pros: you can hide all the stuff. Cons: bit more expensive than a simple cube tank unless you're getting those nice ADA ones.

Looks like your veering towards a nano fowlr (fish only with live rock) set-up? Maybe you can add some hardy soft corals later, like mushrooms and leathers. You can go check out some nice nano set-ups at LFS like aquamarin, ah beng. Then decide on your tank, get some live rock/sand. Get a hydrometer, mix your salt and distilled water and you're good to go. You may not need a skimmer if your load is low and you change water regularly. You can use fans to keep the temp down.

But remember to let the tank cycle properly before your add anything. I made the mistake of stocking too fast.

Cheers and good luck with your tank

4032134229021418s_zpsx5nrshsi.JPG

• SRC Member

bro, in my exp, it is just not wise to design your entire setup based on a single factor, LED in your case... I know the feeling (and consequence) cos my 1.5ft nano was created becos I got the tank thro a combination of several factors (check my nano tank link at my signature for the whole story)...

I guess it is better to plan your setup based on your estimation of your available budget and time, as like the reefers always say: initial setup phase requires time and money, after that , it requires more time and more money...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• 2 weeks later...