PHOS

Sea hare

• SRC Member

Ok.. Call me names call me anything!!! I don't test my parameters.. I know water quality by just looking at the tank.. My take now is that my PHOS has gone up.. How do I know? Algae on the glass every two days. There was Cyano earlier but have more or less got rid of it.. Any ideas why PHOS is high? Have done two water changes at 25-% and 50%.

• SRC Member

How do you know that its phosphates and not nitrates? Cyano thrives on phosphates and can fix elemental nitrogen dissolved. Most other types of algae (less cyano which is really a bacteria), need both phosphates and nitrates to grow. So if you're saying that cyano is gone but other types of algae are thriving... I don't what led to the conclusion that it is due to phosphates.

Anyway if youre convinced that its phosphates, a few common reasons could be because of phosphates leaching from the rocks or simply just over feeding.

• SRC Member

Thanks adstg.. Have given up checking on test kits for some 2 years now.. :-). This is a unique one and I want to get to the depths of it.. One mystic I want to debunk is reef keeping is tough.. Will go on to triton soon and will publish results. And yes buddy thanks for the offer. Appreciate.