Annoying cyanobacteria!

Lee Khim Ann

• SRC Member

I have a 11G reef tank with cyanobacteria. I grows like mad and I use a turkey baster to blast them away and they get sucked into my HOB filter. I have no fish now only 1 pom pom crab 1 scarlett cleaner shrimp and 1 coral banded shrimp so i feed them once every 2 to 3 days. I have a few corals which I feed once a week. I do not have nitrate or phosphate test kit but my ammonia reading is currently at 0.05. I top off my water with tap water but I treat them with pro ammonia detox by kent marine first. Wondering if UV steriliser or introducing chaeto to my tank will get rid of it...

• SRC Member

Bro your tank still has ammonia which is toxic to fish.. Never use tap water as it containes a lot of contaminates use distilled water you can buy 5gallon water drums and do water changes since your tank volume is small.PM Me if you wanna number of a uncle who deliveres distilled water...use a skimmer and increase flow get some good test kits to know where are your levels at if do weekly wc with distilled water and if needed use some nitrate removing media in your hob chamber

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member
Bro your tank still has ammonia which is toxic to fish.. Never use tap water as it containes a lot of contaminates use distilled water you can buy 5gallon water drums and do water changes since your tank volume is small.PM Me if you wanna number of a uncle who deliveres distilled water...use a skimmer and increase flow get some good test kits to know where are your levels at if do weekly wc with distilled water and if needed use some nitrate removing media in your hob chamber and don't use a UV

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

I'm sorry... I do not understand why not to use a sterilizer... Cyano is a bacteria... And UV kills bacteria... Level 1 sterilization from a good UV sterilizer will do the trick of cyanobacteria removal effectively...

Angel Keeper

If you want a Fish Only With Live Rock l (FOWLR)it may be fine. If you want a reef, you want diversity, and it will absolutely reduce the diversity of microorganisms in your tank, such as pelagic bacteria. Seeing that bacterioplankton is a primary source of food for corals, and corals are literally walls of mouths, suggesting they do indeed like to capture this floating food, I'm not sure why you would want to kill it off. Your corals may be ok, you can throw more light at them and they can get more nutrients from their symbiotic algae. You probably won't see mortality as a result, but that does not mean it is not negatively effecting them. It will cut into the food web.

• SRC Member
I'm sorry... I do not understand why not to use a sterilizer... Cyano is a bacteria... And UV kills bacteria... Level 1 sterilization from a good UV sterilizer will do the trick of cyanobacteria removal effectively... Angel Keeperhttp://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/128217-Angel-Keeper's-5-Feet-Mixed-Reef-Tank'>
but then again in this case he can use it to kill of his algae first..or maybe use the UV In Moderation..

• SRC Member

How old is your tank bro...

My tank is nearly 2 months.

I'm sorry... I do not understand why not to use a sterilizer... Cyano is a bacteria... And UV kills bacteria... Level 1 sterilization from a good UV sterilizer will do the trick of cyanobacteria removal effectively...

Angel Keeper

Henry from marine life told me that UV would not be useful unless the cyanobacteria actually went into the UV steriliser

• SRC Member

Of course... Using a UV sterilizer, it only kills bacteria that is in the water column... So by using a turkey baster to blow the cyano, the main bulk will go into your hob... But you cannot stop the single cells... UV takes care of those and prevent further outbreaks or multiplication...

Angel Keeper

• SRC Member

11g tank ... Just water change weekly , and use distilled bottle water for top up and increase flow .

No need for fancy uv sterilizer

The water i use for top up is tap water treated with pro ammonia detox from kent marine. Since i live in central area, i get my saltwater from sea life aquarium (sam and jasmine). They also use pro ammonia detox to treat their tap water and mix their saltwater but somehow their tanks dont have cyano...

• SRC Member

My tank is nearly 2 months.

Henry from marine life told me that UV would not be useful unless the cyanobacteria actually went into the UV steriliser

Bro, 2 mths is still new, most likely the bateria in ur bio filter not yet fully est. Also, u cant completely rid off all the organic stuff in your water, thus the only way to out compete the cyano for food is to has an ATS or just wait for it to go away...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014