New in this hobby

• SRC Member

Hi those expertis around there hope can someone out there can help me solve this problem. Well i have this hobby abt few mth yet my fish that i bought alway in few day one by one pass away. Bt those my exisiting fish like neon damsel fish, rabbit fish,shrimp and my yellow gorby wil stil alive with me . So i want to know what happen and how to solve it? By the way i still have a few croal bt they look health.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro the answer is there liao your nitrate too high liao. Try to keep it below 20ppm for fishes. Well i have 2 occelaris clowns and 1 cleaner at 20ppm seemed to be doing fine.

Are the fishes that keep dieing not very hardy or sensitive fishes ? Maybe you put the type of fishes that died and senior reefers can help you.

As far as i know 160ppm of nitrate is a no go bro. To remedy is water change regularly and dose bacteria during water change. Limit feeding and dont add anymore fishy at the time being.

• SRC Member

Bro the answer is there liao your nitrate too high liao. Try to keep it below 20ppm for fishes. Well i have 2 occelaris clowns and 1 cleaner at 20ppm seemed to be doing fine.

Are the fishes that keep dieing not very hardy or sensitive fishes ? Maybe you put the type of fishes that died and senior reefers can help you.

As far as i know 160ppm of nitrate is a no go bro. To remedy is water change regularly and dose bacteria during water change. Limit feeding and dont add anymore fishy at the time being.

Ok thank Filzan

• SRC Member

Water change regime depends on your tank size and equipment list for filtration. For a start, a daily 10% Wc would be good to lower your nitrates. As for bacteria dosing, I've had decent experience with prodibio products

• SRC Member

Water change regime depends on your tank size and equipment list for filtration. For a start, a daily 10% Wc would be good to lower your nitrates. As for bacteria dosing, I've had decent experience with prodibio products

My tank is 2ft usin boyu fliter so hv to change daily? Abt the bacteria where cn i get?

• SRC Member

If 100percent chgn those my fish can take it WC?

Sudden drop in any para is stressful for fish and coral ah. Even is drop to a better level. 100% WC is only advisable if ur tank is in critical stage eg amonia super high, tank crash etc

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Oh wait , can u specify what kind of fish died? I fail to see that you have other fish that still survive. Maybe it's the fish .. Not the water

Yellow tank , yellow angel, black angel and orange pecular clown are those die. Now left groby , rabbit , shrimp and neon demsal fish bt discover yesterday the mouth have white patch sigh....

Oh ok ... Then maybe you did not 'acclimate' your fish to your bad water properly . That's y they died.

Do a 20% wC everyday till your tank water is acclimated to good water , which I think will take forever. Good luck.

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

Ehhh .. No no .. 20% per day is too much,parameters will swing and kill all live stock .. Make that 10% every week .

Cn ask u one more how to acclimated a proper way?

Oh ok ... Then maybe you did not 'acclimate' your fish to your bad water properly . That's y they died.

Do a 20% wC everyday till your tank water is acclimated to good water , which I think will take forever. Good luck.

Just to share...

Had nitrate issue once. Done what many suggested, 10% daily water change or 20%-30% weekly water change, while reduced feeding at the same time. Although fed my fish only once a day so to reduce some more meaning once every 2 days? Also done that... still nitrates can never go lower that 20ppm.

Chaeto running and growing and trimming and growing... biosphere added, biopellets running also, micro algae too... still not getting there.

But no sudden death of fish or LPS. But still.. high nitrates!! What else??

100% water change ah... but only recommended if tank crash or something more critical. So now what?

Remembered this sentence somewhere I read.... "no tank is the same.." hmmm... well... time to follow my instinct. 100% wc ahh... (not 100% really.. left just enough water for the fish to breathe).

Crossing my fingers.... praying... and more crossing and praying... thank God!!! 3 months later... all livestock survived and guess what? Nitrates FINALLY below 20ppm... its 15ppm... that is a success to me.

Then continue with weekly wc... and now nitrates is below 10ppm.

Again I repeat.. no 2 tanks are alike. So take any advice with many pinches of salt. And don't hold anyone giving the advice responsible if anything bad should happen. At the end of the day, the dicision is after all the tank's owner.

Hope you find a root cause to your problem. I did not find mine, just decided to do the big water change after all fails.