questions regarding lightning

• SRC Member

hi to all sifus.... for my tank, i on my White light for 7 hrs per day together with my blue actini light.... my blue actini light is turn off about 5 hrs later... is this a good setting ?? should the tank be left in total darkness or should i on the blue actini light 24/7? pls enlighten mi....

• Sponsor

For a while I thought you were asking about lightning :o:D

If I were you, I would have the actinic light come on a couple of hours before the main light and have it turned off a couple of hours after the main light. This lighting regiment would be more natural to the animals. Can you imagine someone switching on all the lights in your room after a few hours of darkness? :shock:

It'd also be better if you leave all the lights off for at least a few hours because fishes are not unlike us humans; they need their rest as well and when blue actinics may seem dim to us, they are actually quite bright to the little critters in your aquarium. Actinics are actually for us humans to admire the luminescense emitted by some of our corals, they serve no purpose to the welfare of the animals you keep.

• SRC Member

yup I have been told be4 that actinic is need for the growth of some coral, but no matter how I search or read, I never come across any point that mention the importance of the use of actinic. Just that got alot of point out to use actinic but no info on why must use it..