How to reduce noise at overflow

RH8198

Your end cap currently noisy ah? I hear my noise seems to come from the water flowing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once awhile will hv sound……most of the sound coming from the outlet in sump.

Interesting, but able to explain the reason being this mod?

Remember earlier patricklhc shared the diagram of the durso diagram. A bigger hole on top of end cap would cause higher water lvl and hence less noise.

Does this mod do that? "making the bigger hole"?

I was experimenting with hole size to attain the flow I wanted. (Max open channel flow without going full siphon)

Thus I reached this hole size.. Anything smaller will result at full siphon and the water level in the overflow will fluctuate up and down. But at this hole size, I was getting some whispering noise from the hole and downpipe. I tried inserting a tube down to the downpipe but the sound is still there... So I added the silencer and it solved my problem.

Bro the sound is from the water flow into the overflow.. Will Tt mod help?

Sound from water flowing into the overflow? Is your water level low in the overflow? If so, raising the water level will help. This mod will not help.. It solved my noise problem with the downpipe..not overflow.

Ooh haha ok let me know after trying..

Once awhile will hv sound……most of the sound coming from the outlet in sump.

Don't rush into buying it to try.

Its better to determine the cause of the noise. Play with flow rate then hole size... If your flow rate is super fast and you have small piping...it will be noisy..

Don't rush into buying it to try.

Its better to determine the cause of the noise. Play with flow rate then hole size... If your flow rate is super fast and you have small piping...it will be noisy..

Ok bro, I don't really need to mod but it's easy to do n dead silent so I'm OK to do it.

I am currently trying to design a 3'tank with sump and now working on the overflow system.

The typical overflow box is a small square box at one rear corner of the main tank, and due to the flow of water into it, it can be abit noisy. Do you guys have any tips on how to reduce the noise from this part of the set-up?

Also, will a smaller downpipe (resulting in water filling more of the pipe) help in reducing noise?

TS ... Since u are still in the design phase, do some research on what fits your design best.

You have to decide on piping space the flow rate you intend to put on this system. Slow to moderate flow (durso or any other open channel flow system). For higher flow it's better to go full siphon like bean animal.

Remember these suggestions are made with respect to noise level and not the performance of the system.

How fast a flow rate would be consider fast? I looking at the typical pump would be about 2000l/hr and my tank is about 320litre, so about 6 x . Is this consider fast or slow?

I have no preference on the flow rate actually as long as circulation is occurring decently. Am worried if too fast, the fish cannot take it or if too slow, circulation is not good.

• SRC Member

How fast a flow rate would be consider fast? I looking at the typical pump would be about 2000l/hr and my tank is about 320litre, so about 6 x . Is this consider fast or slow?

I have no preference on the flow rate actually as long as circulation is occurring decently. Am worried if too fast, the fish cannot take it or if too slow, circulation is not good.

Your wm does way way more than the return pump. Don't worry too much about the return pump.

Plus factoring in head lost, the return will be pushing out less than specified.

• SRC Member

I was experimenting with hole size to attain the flow I wanted. (Max open channel flow without going full siphon)

Thus I reached this hole size.. Anything smaller will result at full siphon and the water level in the overflow will fluctuate up and down. But at this hole size, I was getting some whispering noise from the hole and downpipe. I tried inserting a tube down to the downpipe but the sound is still there... So I added the silencer and it solved my problem.

Bro after adding the silencer the noise at the downpipe output at the slump is gone/reduce greatly?

• SRC Member

Ooh AM selling for about two orange note hence I decided to DIY.. Not bad.. Reduce noise by a lot..

post-23838-14315368290421_thumb.jpg

Used a sour plum container bought at $0.60 and a straw free from McDonald..

• 3 months later...