Thats why a smaller lion will be more incline to try pellets than a experienced wild adult which hungers for live food..

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• SRC Member

I didn't do this for lionfish, but for my morays and my other freshwater carnivores. Its a bit cruel though. I just starve them for 2 weeks. Then I dangled fresh prawn in front of them. They whack like nobody's business. After that I just threw pellets in and they just accepted it as well.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Is not very advisable to starve the fish in the beginning and force them to take pellets or mysis in the beginning. First of all.. You might not known when is their last meal, some fishes once been starved, they will starve themself all the way till death even if we give in in the end and feed them live food etc, which Is alrdy too late.. 

More advisable is to set up a QT and seperately beef them up before starving them and change their diet.. U may wana start introducing garlic guard in their meals including mysis/mp.. So when u add pellets into their food, they might not be able to smell it.. And through time, they will learn to accept pellets. Goid luck and happy fish keeping.

Edited by Neutral

• SRC Member

Can try small gobies like the clown goby. He's small and peaceful. Or perhaps a pair of shrimp? Once they friend friend they will just chill out one corner together.

• SRC Member

Is it a tall tank or long tank? I usually don't put more than one fish in a nano because of less swimming space. My 3" damsel is in a tall nano by himself. But if you have smaller species, maybe 3-5. If you're keeping shrimp, they don't need so much swimming space but lots of places to hide in, or else they will fight, so maybe can squeeze more. In my 20g I have 6 shrimp, all have their own hangout places