What is the difference between these?

• SRC Member

u are so right !!!

i am quite confused myself, blur like sotong. :o

sometimes i think manufacturers make small differences to entice and market their products under different brand names. :angry:

• SRC Member

Erm let me try to explain, hope it arent too confusing....

Kalkwasser is acctually a two part additives, which would buffer both your Calcium level & Kh level.

Where as Calcium additives would just raise your Calcium level in your reef tank. Some brand do include other trace elements or magnesium and strontium.

Thus Kalkwasser is good to be added during your daily water top up.

Blah... maybe someone eles could explain better in word.. Hehe mine seem confusing... PM and i can explain much better on the phone hehe.

Sorry.. :blink:

Kalk is Calcium Hydroxide while I believe the Seachem one is Calcium chloride. The Hydroxide will reacts with your water to form carbonate that will buffer your water and thus increases your alkalinity. While chloride does not.

So the key point is if your calcium is low, but your Alkalinity is high, then add just calcium chloride. If your alkalinity is low, but Calcium is high, then add Baking Soda (Sodium bicarbonate). If your Alk is low and Calcium is low, then add Kalk. If both are high, don't ever add any of these. Let time do it part to bring it down.

Most importantly, add only if you test your water first.

What is your corals bioload? how often you change water? If you don't have corals and change water regularly, don't have to waste money adding additives.

• SRC Member

I noted Infinitereef making reference to "Baking Soda (Sodium bicarbonate".

Is this the same that ppl use for baking cakes ? Or is there one specifically for marine use.

If similar as the cake making stuff, it is quite cheap .... may even steal from wife's baking ingredients ..... hehehe :P

Yes, the baking soda is the one that they use for making cake. Make sure that it is pure Sodium bicarbonate on your ingredient list. Not any other thing. A good brand is "Arm and Hammer".

Washing Soda which is the one for your washing machine can use it for calcium supplement. Again "Arm and Hammer" brand is recommended.

As your hobby progresses, isn't it funny that you visit your LFS less and less and you visit the Groceries store more and more. You began to be busy at the kitchen looking for Garlic, Ginger, stealing baking Soda, and next time maybe Beer :D

I may steal the white chopping board from my wife and use it as the "sand" replacement for my next tank.

• SRC Member

Infinitereef, you are a fountain of knowledge. :bow: Thanks for your advice. :thanks: As we get wiser, we need to find substitutes so that we don't burn a hole in our pocket.

Honestly, some of the addictives/supplements sold in LFS can be quite ex. :shock: