My little new 3 footer...

RAV-65

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plugged in my new ORP monitor and got a reading to sacre the daylights out of me... it read 220mV... apparently too low for any peace of mind... proceeded to pump my ozonizer at full blast and after 24 hours, the reading now stands at 314mV.. hopefully it continues to improve.... :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

hi rav, u seem to have many livestocks in ur marvellous tank. will their wastes eg. nitrates accumulate beyond the rate that your filtration setup can handle? thanks. cos i intend to convert into a reef tank with my existing fishes.

hi rav, u seem to have many livestocks in ur marvellous tank. will their wastes eg. nitrates accumulate beyond the rate that your filtration setup can handle? thanks. cos i intend to convert into a reef tank with my existing fishes.

Bro, there are few things u have to take note, strong skimming, good water movement so that detritus can never settle down in the rocks but be suspended in the water till removed by the mechanical filtration, use of DSB, refugium with macroalgae, light feeding, water changes, cleaning crew like cleaner shrimp, hermit crabs, snails, can help in controlling ur nitrates....

Of coz my tank may not have all the abovementioned qualities, it's the things I've learnt over time and hopefully when i set up my new tank, all these things can be incorporated to help me... btw, the DSB requires 6 months or more to mature...

for ur case, ur tank still relatively empty, so u plan everything properly before u embark... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro, there are few things u have to take note, strong skimming, good water movement so that detritus can never settle down in the rocks but be suspended in the water till removed by the mechanical filtration, use of DSB, refugium with macroalgae, light feeding, water changes, cleaning crew like cleaner shrimp, hermit crabs, snails, can help in controlling ur nitrates....

Of coz my tank may not have all the abovementioned qualities, it's the things I've learnt over time and hopefully when i set up my new tank, all these things can be incorporated to help me... btw, the DSB requires 6 months or more to mature...

for ur case, ur tank still relatively empty, so u plan everything properly before u embark... :)

thanks bro. Seems like all i need is patience and some good planning. thanks....

Bro u always have alot of reef uncompatitable fish lol. Happy trapping. By the way the ORP is to moniter simi?

:angry: Ya lor... my fishes started becoming coral-varous.... :angry:

Actually I use to like feeding them alot, but now in order to keep SPS n the nitates down, I cut back alot of feeding, maybe dat's why the develop the taste for my corals.... :pinch:

Anyway, the ORP is to measure the Redox level in the tank, very complicated but it kindda indicates the overall health of the system, if u have a dead fish in the tank, the nitrites and ammonia can still be zero, but the ORP will drop and there's no hiding....

So it acts like some kind of watchdog for your tank.... Many reefers in RC keep a ORP monitor... :) If the ORP reaches about 400, it shows that the water is in pretty good condition, mine's about 330 now... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Got to watch it...it takes a long time for stressed favias to recover and sometimes it doesn't and thus ending up with botak patches on the rock. :(

Thanks for the advice.... my ph abit low now, so maybe causing the favia to be stressed, so buffering up slowly, adding 0.1 ph per day now, currently at 8.1 during the day, dun wan to make the same mistake of making too big changes too fast... hopefully the favia will improve when the ph is up... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

frag this off from a table as I realised that the table has RTN-ed when I got home from the LFS... somehow the frags managed to survive!! White body with red polyps and blue tips... very nice... my favourite actually... :)

post-34-1099165028.jpg

post-34-1105890976.jpg