My journey in custom made 2ft cube with sump

vincentwangz

• SRC Member

Some of you were asking me if it was possible to have a functional sump with a two feet tank and cabinet. Thanks to the experts at Aquarium Artists, it is very possible. I like their design, which pushes the water is a U shape so that space is maximized. Here are some pictures as an example. A disclaimer, I have not made it neat, so please excuse all the messy wiring.
5d64571c6b4af84d5b289dee4976c802.jpg
This is what it looks like from the front. Basically the sump takes up the entire cabinet space.

f47e53d14cf08ea5f801df98274798d2.jpg
This is how it looks from the top.

f09897f12e19566ce5f5bb46b91f1c4f.jpg
Top left is the downflow compartment, with the piping below water level so there is absolutely no bubbles to worry about. Water is filtered through with a 7" nylon sock with a 200 micron insert that I change every week.

fd99ccc78dd98522019c8ff280bb2f81.jpg
Top right is the skimmer / reactor compartment. Am using the Omega 'washing machine' reactor. Totally able to fit. I like it better than the usual long reactors cos they don't tumble as well.

dec214ac0b1dbf2424e228bd4b3dfff7.jpg
Bottom left is the special compartment that was designed with marinepure in mind. Fits one marinepure block nicely. I also left a bag of rowaphos there to deal with my impossible phosphates situation as I'm using tap water. Will move towards RODI water soon.

bbe01e77e804776f90de970144dc2b8a.jpg
Finally bottom right is the return pump compartment which is very spacious as you can see. I placed a bag of bacteria king there as well as an OF Hydra 30 there just to ensure the water is further purified. Gotta think of a better way to use this space though. Was thinking of doing an algae scrubber here although many people say it's very troublesome.

Let me know what you think about how I can further improve! If you're wondering, I have a dosing pump but have yet to finish setting it up.

Sofishticated Friend