Cycling questions

Pls remember to stock very slowly. If your tank is not more than 2 ft I suggest adding not more than 1-2small fishes at a time. After that give the tank about 2weeks or more if possible to add again. Don't rush into adding too fast or too many. The bacterials may not be able to handle he bioload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• SRC Member

You are just cycled, but not stable. Should have continuous days of zero nitrite before you want to consider putting in fishes.
Nitrate is very high, did you see loads of diatom algae in tank and sand bed? Usually the diatom bloom is also a sign of cycled tank.
Patrick rightly asked you to have a big change in water, but only do like 50% if you have absolutely no live stocks in tank.

You are just cycled, but not stable. Should have continuous days of zero nitrite before you want to consider putting in fishes.
Nitrate is very high, did you see loads of diatom algae in tank and sand bed? Usually the diatom bloom is also a sign of cycled tank.
Patrick rightly asked you to have a big change in water, but only do like 50% if you have absolutely no live stocks in tank.

I've had no large diatom bloom. Just a few here and there. And I have no livestock and won't be getting fish for some while. First thing will be 2 snails then a soft coral. Maybe gsp. Why is a diatom bloom a sign of cycling?

Pls remember to stock very slowly. If your tank is not more than 2 ft I suggest adding not more than 1-2small fishes at a time. After that give the tank about 2weeks or more if possible to add again. Don't rush into adding too fast or too many. The bacterials may not be able to handle he bioload

My tank is 36 gallon(3ft) and I will be adding livestock every 2 weeks starting with snails. Max 12" of fish. Only soft corals for now. I am going to do my best not to kill my wallet and my livestock

What apps u use for document the reading?

I am using aquarimate. It's 10 dollars... But it has a lot of nice features like a wish list, a catalog of available corals/invertebrates/fish/and plants(with good information), a timeline so you can track the progress of your tank, and the graphing function seen above. Plus I'm sure there are uses I have yet to find bc I have no livestock yet.

• SRC Member
A senior reefer once tell me this, if algae can't grow in your tank, u can forget about keeping corals haha which makes a lot of sense

Sigh, i have put two pair fish and its coming into 4 weeks since cycling. There is mini cycling when put in fish but now ammonia and nitrite is zero. However, no diatom bloom yet. Everyone hope diatom go away fast but mine is pray diatom come.

• SRC Member

Looks okay based on your scaping. But I know Pukani usually is less porous than live or dead rock, not sure if that is okay. My personal standard is 1lb to 1.5lb of rock per gallon of water in tank including sump water volume.

Are u based in Singapore? Where did u get those pukani?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

I'm not based in Singapore... This is just one of the only forums that seem to work for me. The others keep telling me I can't sign up. And I got the pukani from Bulk Reef Supply.

Looks okay based on your scaping. But I know Pukani usually is less porous than live or dead rock, not sure if that is okay. My personal standard is 1lb to 1.5lb of rock per gallon of water in tank including sump water volume.

Really? I'm told pukani is more porous/ more volume per lbs