My 4ft Wonder

• SRC Member

Decided to start my 4ft after months of working on it...

I have progressed from a IOS 1ft to IOS 1.5ft to 1.5ft custom tank with sump to a 4ft Tank with Sump.

It has been an amazing journey of reefing from knowing nothing to a 4ft reef tank.

Still trying to learn the fine details of tank upkeep and coral up keeping.

With this new 4ft which i started working on it since May 2016

I bought over a second hand 4ft tank and redo the whole pipping system myself.

Sump

With some advice from various other reefers, i have done up the pipping with a globe valve on my overflow line and a check valve and 3 different T-off on my return line.

i had to rework most of the area and space in the sump as i wasn't intending to run a refugium and the return pump reservoir was small. I had to cut out the different glass pieces and remove all the remaining silicon and trim the height over the glass for the whole sump as the top of the sump glass panels were the same height as the sump tank panel heights which will lead to an overflow if part of the main tank volume flows back to my sump.

I also rework the filter area; previous user was using filter wool but i wanted to use socks. So i added a few glass and also made my sock holder from acrylic.

I don't have any photos of the sump before the rework and the process as my phone crashed before i could backup all the photos.

FTS as of Yesterday

IMG_1703.JPG

i will continue to talk about the sump on a later post with photos of the system

To all; Keep Calm and Continue Reefing no matter what.

Regard

Daniel

• SRC Member

Some photo of my sump area...

Over all look.

IMG_1731.JPG

it seems really messy...

but in the mess there is order!.

Yes instead of using a chiller; i decided to take a plunge into running a compressor...totally loving the quietness in the house and also the absence of hot air.

IMG_1737.JPG

this is the globe valve which i am talking about...it really help to control the overflow and keep the drain line almost silence... which is awesome!!

IMG_1725.JPGIMG_1726.JPG

The overflow goes into a box which overflow into the filter socks area which is sealed off therefore forcing the water to go thru the filter socks..

but in an event that the filter socks is totally clogged; the system allows for water to flow over into the next compartment therefore preventing a overflow of water out of the sump. i also put the return line for my phosban reactor in my filter socks to catch any rowa that escape from the reactor.

Now for the main return pump..i decided to bite the bullet and go for the vectra m1.. not that i don't love a jebao just that i am not too sure if the jebaos can push out the same volume of water at the same electrical load.. so there i go with a m1...

IMG_1730.JPG

Now talking about the T-off; i am sure many will say why so many T-off...just put an additional pump can liao...

I wanted T-off bcos i didn't want to run too many pumps and increase my electrical load.. 

My first T-off goes to a canister...yes a canister....it is actually a pre-filter... i didn't get the biggest...which i kinda of regret right now...but i am comfortable with the size.... so i t-off to the canister and put filter media inside...so that i can maintain a slower flow and ensure that the bacteria got time to work on the  stuff... with the canister overflow line....i routed it to a separate compartment of my tank....previously used as a refugium compartment with the water overflowing via a small overflow line.. i converted that small overflow line as my emergency overflow right now... The separate compartment is housing more media right now...

IMG_1727.JPGIMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

As for my 2nd T-off it is running my CR and my phosban reactor; with two on-off valve i can choose to shut off or on the flow to the two reactors. Those two reactors are common stuff so nothing much to talk about.

IMG_1734.JPGIMG_1736.JPG

I also run a RR113 in my sump with a mixture of new AIO golden pellets and old AIO brown pellets and also some normal biopellets.

IMG_1735.JPG

As for the Calcium Reactor...

i am running a BM CR...got it second hand from another reefer. it was in quite a bad condition...so i had to do some work to get it working like buy a new pump and also replace all the tubing.

I decided to run my CR off a weipro PH controller and the return drip line on a needle valve to help regulate the flow.. i also added a additional chamber using a DI canister and i put magnesium media in it.. so far i am not sure if it has been able to melt any of those magnesium media but when i top up my CR in future, those media will go into the main chamber and some Coral chip will be placed in the additional secondary chamber to catch any additional co2 that leaked off from the main chamber.

IMG_1732.JPG

Skimmer which is currently running is the Skim DC Monster sm203, it is really a beast and it takes up alooooot of space...

Oh yes...i routed the return line for the RR113 to the inlet for the skimmer.

I am also running a seneye home which i upgrade to get the light par meter.

It helps to tell me the temperature of the water and also the nh4 and ph of the water if i put the slides in... but since i haven really disturb the system much; i did not place a new slide in.... so i let it help me monitor my temperature to ensure that the water temp does not goes too high; just worried that the compressor breaks down.

This is all for my wet sump area....

Edited by Daniel Poh Yang Zheng
Forgot to add in some details