Low kh issue

roy81

Hi all,

I started only 3-4months ago. And so ny knowledge is limited. Have an issue with Ca, Mg & kH now. My tank is currently low in kh. Should i start dosing something?

2ft cube tank

No3 10

Po4 0.03-0.1

Ca 410

Mg 1230

kH 5.4

My tank is a mixed reef setup. Have sps, lps, soft corals (have attached pic for better understanding).

What is causing the drop in kH?

Understand that dosing to increase kH would bring down Ca and my Ca readings are not high either. Thus should i standby and buy additives to increase Ca while i try to increase my kH?

Would appreciate all advices. 82e0cfe05301fd9b357ec032f7de31bb.jpg230de45dbe24c49378ac8e237e67ebf0.jpg

Thanks in advance for advices.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Just to make answer short, in my own knowledge.
The SPS needs to grow by building their structure with calcium carbonate , so the Calcium you measured is part of the formula. For carbonate, it is obtained from the bicarbonate of the water. Alkalinity is a simpler alternative way to measure bicarbonate (science behind is deep), when Alkalinity is low means carbonate is low for sps structure growth, that's why high KH enhance growth.
If your KH is low, you need to use Kalk or KH dosing to increase it. Using Kalk is good as it increases Ca and KH, but got to watch out for PH not to exceed your comfort zone.
I am also new, this is what I understand from my kids who studied Chemistry. Lolz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Also if your PH is currently below 8.0, I would suggest you dose Kalk first. Remember Kalk usually dose at night to avoid PH swing and need to dose slowly.
If PH is already high, than I would suggest you dose KH, you can get it from two part dosing chemical. Using a doser will be good for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

If your Ca is stable at 410, it's not too bad as that's around NSW levels.

An alternative for you would be to dose KH alone, can either get commercial solutions or DIY baking soda solution. Dose in regular amounts & intervals thruout 24hrs to maximize the conditions for stable parameters..

• 2 weeks later...