New fishes hide how long?

RAV-65

Hi all,

bought an angel fish last week and the fella been hiding since... it's been about 1 week and i tink it's still stressed/scared as it keeps hiding in one corner of the tank....

How long can a fish hide up to?? 2 weeks? I'm really worried about this guy as i cant tell if its eating.... :(

Anyone got experience with fishes that hides for long periods before getting used to the tank?

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

My yellow wrasse hid in the sand for two weeks. I thought it was dead but one day out of the blue he came out. I'm guessing he came out when nobody is around the tank and eat whatever is available in the tank coz he was not around during feeding time. Now he's good buddies with the other fishes.

Yellow wrasses are well know to hide for long period.

As for Angels, they will hide initially but will come out once they are acustomed to the tank & its routine. I have once experience a bi-color hiding for 7 days! By the way, you did not mentioned what Angel.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

mine's a golden angel.... bought at $45, so quite worried about the fella... read one the net it eats algae, deritus and sponges, so didn't dare to keep it in QT for too long as it was not eating the frozen BS I was feeding... was hoping it would come out and pick on the rocks for food.... but till now, still hiding.... even my gold-flake juv bought on the same day doesnt eat much, but at least the guy doesn't hide anymore....

Vincent Ho

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

I'm experiencing similar problem with a small BT. It is now in QT, hence I can control that the food is being eaten no problem, but the fellow is always hiding in the PVC pipes I provided for it to hide and be confortable. It only comes out to eat when no one is around...

I hope it will fight for it's food when I put it in the main tank... Other wise it will starve!

;)

• SRC Member

I've had fishes hiding for more than 2 weeks (my Coral Beau Angel and Fire Fishes) and then becoming very confident in their tank and have had fishes that do not bother hiding at all (mainly damsels).. I guess it depends on your luck and if your water conditions are ok and your fishes are healthy then they should come out however long it takes them to.