Advice pls

alfaman

Hi all

I am a marine newbie. a friend has a thai rest. he wants a 4-footer marine tank as a partition betw kitchen and dining hall, so that diners cant see the cooks chasing after rats behind. :P

I have been tasked to undertake tis project. been reading around from SRC and RC. very informative indeed. but i would appreciate if gurus can be more case-specific. my proposal is to do a FOWLR with minimal softies so that we can minimise the budget (SGD1.3K)

I know its ridiculous. haha. or it isnt so?

for the following, pls kindly rec model/price, pre-owned most welcomed:-

1) a 4 x 2 x 2 or 1.5 x 1.5, 10mm overflow tank ###### rack (used~SGD250, is it reasonable?)

2) a 2ft sump?

3) eheim pump

4) PS?

5) PL?

6) Diagnostic equip?

7) PHs

My request may have been very vague and green. Apologies. TIA

Pang

• SRC Member

alfaman,

Besides those things that you have mentioned, note that you need about 40~50kg of liverocks at $8/kg.. so that works out to be about $320 min already... since you are going for a fowlr tank and in budget constraint, perhaps you can stick to FL lightings which is cheaper abit, else PL lights for 4 footer should cost about $200... plus minus...

• SRC Member

Alfaman,

I'm not sure if your 1.3k budget will be enough to buy all the hardwares for start-up, maybe have to get 2nd hand stuffs. After that, you still have a long way to go, like fishes, corals, foods, supplements, buffers...... the lists go on and on......So, besides the initial cost, have to put aside some $$ every month. Welcome to the hobby. :evil:

• SRC Member

wif jus 1.3k budget...maybe u can ask your fren to set up a LH tank instead...maybe less than $1.3k :cry:

even if u buy 2nd hand stuffs...good luck manz...u may end up spending more than the initial budget amt(1.3k) <_< there is hardly ways to start a marine tank wif such a tight budget