Chiller

davwong

• SRC Member

I think its not overkill. Its super duper overkill.

Bro a 1hp is enough to cool a 1000L to 1200L tank depending on its heat load. (6ft to 7ft tank)

A true rated 1/2hp chiller is more than enough to cool your tank.

But if you are planning for future upgrades, best to go for a 1/2hp. Remember the higher the hp, the more money for electricity too. ;)

Another thing........

Price is one thing. But make sure you are getting what you are paying for. :erm:

I think its not overkill. Its super duper overkill.

Bro a 1hp is enough to cool a 1000L to 1200L tank depending on its heat load. (6ft to 7ft tank)

A true rated 1/2hp chiller is more than enough to cool your tank.

But if you are planning for future upgrades, best to go for a 1/2hp. Remember the higher the hp, the more money for electricity too. ;)

Another thing........

Price is one thing. But make sure you are getting what you are paying for. :erm:

i agree. :)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

If we take this example for instance

1/2HP, 400W, est 8hrs = 3.2KW

1HP, 800, est 4hr = 3.2KW

The amount is similar. An underrated chiller will be shorter lifespan than an overrated chiller, am I right?

Tank 4x2x2.5

• SRC Member

tt's being very theoretical and ideal!

rolling with that ideal condition:

in a 24 hrs situation, assuming equal heat gain throughout the day:

1/2HP:

process:

8 hrs operation -> 2hr idle(for heat gain) -> 8 hrs operation -> 2hr idle -> 4 hrs operation =24 hrs operation

cal:

3.2 + 0 (idle) + 3.2 + 0(idle) + 1.6 (4hr) =

8kw per day FOR 1/2HP

1HP:

4 hrs operation -> 2hr idle(for heat gain) -> 4 hrs operation -> 2hr idle -> 4 hrs operation -> 2hr idle(for heat gain) -> 4 hrs operation -> 2hr idle =24 hrs operation

cal:

3.2 + 0 (idle) + 3.2 + 0(idle) + 3.2 + 0 (idle) + 3.2 + O(idle) =

12.8kw per day FOR 1HP

percentage increase in expenses: 60%

CRAP! we know it doesn't exactly work this way..but it makes some sense doesn't it?

• SRC Member

UR deduction do make sense.

But I think u got me wrong. I am actually refering to the actual chiller estimated operation hours in the whole day

1/2HP, 400W is est 8hrs a day &

1HP, 800W, est 4hr of operation a day.

Tank 4x2x2.5

• SRC Member

hmmthe entire day..??

but bear in mind though chiller operation hours per episode is shorter, it is more frequent with higher HP..so it will never be an idea 1/2 times operation when compared with another chiller 1/2 it's capacity

• SRC Member

Alvy is right.

Basically if you think about it carefully, its like buying an industrial multi unit air con system 4 unit to cool a 1 room flat compared to a economical window unit to cool the same room. Which bill do you think would be higher?

Sometimes theory does not reflect real life situations unless you factor in every possible variable.

Although hp is doubled, it doesn't mean cooling time is also reduced by half.

Its just like a car. A 2L car doesn't mean it can travel twice the speed of a 1L car.

• SRC Member

Point noted.

Base on Alvy and cookiemunster, seems like I have make the right choice of getting a 1/2HP for my 600L tank when my friend actually recommended me a 1.25HP for longer lifespan.

Tank 4x2x2.5

• SRC Member
Point noted.

Base on Alvy and cookiemunster, seems like I have make the right choice of getting a 1/2HP for my 600L tank when my friend actually recommended me a 1.25HP for longer lifespan.

hahaha yup good choice.

Sometimes we have to be very careful of what people recommend....ie do not follow advise or instructions blindly. Best to think about it or read up.

;)

• SRC Member
hey guys, u mean, u guys dun switch on the chiller 24 hrs per day? and 365 days per year? u guys switch e chiller off at nite?

The chiller is on all the time but the compressor will start only when the temperature rise to a preset level. On standby mode, the power consumption is minimal.