titanium drop in coil 1.0 hp for 6ft tank

arju

hi need some help. my compressor is away and routing around 50feet to location of tank. it it sufficient to cool the tank 26degree if use 1.0Hp . thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter

The chilling power depend very much on the distance of your compressor to your coil and the type of coil you use.

For example If you place your compressor just beside your tank with a triple copper coil, it can chill very fast and efficiency with even a small size chiller.

I suggest best is you talk to the compressor chiller guy what is the best in your situation when he visit your place.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

hi - if you are using normal house aircon compressor (i assume it is an inverter) then it will not work for fish tank  

with external temperature controller. 

you will need a non-inverter compressor. 

additionally i would suggest 1.5hp for 6ft tank. do you have sump as well? you will need to add in the total volume of water to be cooled. 

this distance between compressor and tank will make a difference in how long the compressor will run to cool the tank, but in general it will work. 

thank for fast responsed. yes 1.0hp daikin non inverter routing distance 50ft to drop in titanium coil to sump. total system 210gallon including sump. so 1.0 hp will work? take how long to cool. i assume each time on 15minute to cool every 2hour. so total 3hours per day run. need some assistance if 1.0 hp sufficient or need to use 1.5hp. dun have much experience here . tq for help

• 1 month later...
thank for fast responsed. yes 1.0hp daikin non inverter routing distance 50ft to drop in titanium coil to sump. total system 210gallon including sump. so 1.0 hp will work? take how long to cool. i assume each time on 15minute to cool every 2hour. so total 3hours per day run. need some assistance if 1.0 hp sufficient or need to use 1.5hp. dun have much experience here . tq for help

13982355670e9169aa5cfc6c7e3d612a.jpg

hi is the installation correct ?
so worry. need to spilt both copper with individual insulation? omg

• SRC Member

1hp confirm not enough, let alone chill a 6ft tank in 15 minutes. 50 ft is a long way. Even with proper insulation, you are bound to lose cooling energy. A 1hp compressor next to a tank will take about 40 min to cool 1 degree. You may want to consider upsize.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
1hp confirm not enough, let alone chill a 6ft tank in 15 minutes. 50 ft is a long way. Even with proper insulation, you are bound to lose cooling energy. A 1hp compressor next to a tank will take about 40 min to cool 1 degree. You may want to consider upsize.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think you are referencing to a typical standalone chiller.
Drop in coil don't take such long time to cool one degree.

Please ask the compressor installer whether if it is enough.
My 422 tank is about 30 ft from compressor with 1hp, and cool down effortlessly. Water volume is 450L.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Hi all . Always been curious. If can do coil is it more efficient ? And since no need to buy a chiller over time cheaper ? Running a 70gal on a teco tk500 chiller. 0.5bhp. considering further tank to be about 200 gal also. In new house. When it happens.

• SRC Supporter
Hi all . Always been curious. If can do coil is it more efficient ? And since no need to buy a chiller over time cheaper ? Running a 70gal on a teco tk500 chiller. 0.5bhp. considering further tank to be about 200 gal also. In new house. When it happens.

Running a compressor with drop in coil is definitely more effective cooling , and save electricity.

As the coil is in direct contact with the tank water ,not forgetting the big cooling fan that the Aircon compressor has.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 1:26 PM, arju said:

hi need some help. my compressor is away and routing around 50feet to location of tank. it it sufficient to cool the tank 26degree if use 1.0Hp . thank you

Well 1 hp is more than enough for 180 gallon even if it 50FT. What you can do is you can buy a bigger titanium exchange coil (1.5HP) so more surface area and water contact.  

• SRC Member
Running a compressor with drop in coil is definitely more effective cooling , and save electricity.

As the coil is in direct contact with the tank water ,not forgetting the big cooling fan that the Aircon compressor has.

Hi thanks. Will consider switching to this eventually. Save the earth! Where to buy the stuff and what r the components needed ?

• 3 years later...