why is open brain not opening?

sunnymau

my friend's open brain is not opening for quite somethimes, his little angle seems disturbing them by nipping them.is this the cause? i adopt two from his tank and hope to see improvement.

will leather coral sting them? one of my brain open up big, but contract when it touches the leather. my brain use to open up nicely but my leather grow too fast and touches it <_<

how to determin whether the brain is dying or not? :blink:

pls advise. :thanks:

Open brains will not expand if animals nip at it. Soft corals are toxic, put it far away from any soft corals. Most corals have the ability to sting, so make sure each coral has their own space, taking into account when they expand. If you can see the white skeleton all over the body, then cross your fingers and hope it'll recover.

coral war at play..................yes..brains are sensitive...mushies and leather corals do irritate and cause the brain corals to shrink away and eventually die off due to stress :erm:

• SRC Member

My brain got stung by my mushroom and the flesh melted away... guess it can only be due to the mushie cos its the only coral nearest to my open brain. Once the flesh melts away, the brain is pretty much a gonna... think safer to take it out of your tank... brains are very sensitive. :)

Angel fish in a reef tank? Not compatabile!

not entirely true.....

Yes, large angels are destructive in a reef tank...

for dwarf angels....certain specimens do quite well in a reef environment...though 50/50 chance.....not impossible for succes with dwarfs like flame angels, multi-colour angels.....

but ...brains, pratas and other meaty corals do look delicious to them...tempting tempting ;)

• SRC Member

not entirely true.....

Yes, large angels are destructive in a reef tank...

for dwarf angels....certain specimens do quite well in a reef environment...though 50/50 chance.....not impossible for succes with dwarfs like flame angels, multi-colour angels.....

but ...brains, pratas and other meaty corals do look delicious to them...tempting tempting ;)

Agreed, why take chances even with dwarf angels and depends on your luck, maybe goood for one, two or three months?

Agreed, why take chances even with dwarf angels and depends on your luck, maybe goood for one, two or three months?

I have kept a flame angel for almost a year....no prob. Again..just stressing its not as definite as you sounded.

Just trying to give accurate advice to reefers ...like the Genicanthus melanospilos are excellent reef angels...many reefers in RC are keeping them in their reeftank as well....even sps tanks

(see pic attached)

anyway...I have already said 50/50.

post-7-1084870197.jpg

i think my friend is not as lucky man :(

all his dwarft angles is attacking the brain. i adopt two brains bac to my tank yesterday, but seems no improvement leh. should i throw them before it die in my tank? :ph34r:

btw, how to determine whether it is dead or not?

they not openning up, but still can see the flesh inside the skeleton. r they die

if the angels started the habit....sorry...they have tasted those meaty corals liaoz...best not to put in anymore in the tank as long as they are still there.

as I say...50/50....different reefers, different exp...unfortunate that his dwarfs did that......

btw ..dump the brains if you see mostly skeleton and not much meat...but if they have stop falling apart....can take the chance and see they grow back..(usually very tough...) maybe Marineman can provide more details...he's more of an LPS expert than me....

I am an angel lover...will definitely add a multi-colour angel if I come across it again :P

If you can still see the flesh, I suggest you wait and see. If your tank is 4ft and above, it will not contribute much to ammonia if the brain died. If only a small, tiny speck of flesh is left, then it is at the end of the road. I also suggest you do other things like water change, or try running carbon.