Plumbing External Pump

riot

• SRC Member

Hi all.

I intend to set up my eheim 1260 as an external pump but do not wish to drill / remove my current sump.

Any solutions to this problem? I have seen some reefers hooking up a siphon PVC U tube setup, but are there any potential issues with this? Ie will siphon start after pump is switched off/ on , etc.

Thanks for any advice.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro Reefer,

I intend to use Ehiem 1250 for my return pump for sump.

I would like to ask is using a hose o.k compare to making a PVC from the output to the tank.

mine is just a 2 ft main tank and the sump is also a 2ft.

Many thanks.

Moxa

• SRC Member

guys actually i find the eheim 1260 very weak....I was using 1262 and found it unacceptable. Too weak already. Mine is a 4ft tank. Flow rate in sump was very slow.

I am wondering about the Resun MD 55. Any one using? Is it very noisy? The piping method would have to be the same.

Riot I believe the potential hazard is only when there is airlock....ie during poweroff (power failure), air gets sucked into the pump from the top during reverse flow. Once theres air in the hose between the hose in the tank and the pump suction point, the syphon will break and the pump will be grinding air. I only worry it will tend to overheat. Hence its always dangerous to set it up this way.

However there is a solution and that is to use a antiflowback valve. It costs about $40 for a 1inch size. This will prevent backflow of air into the pump and cut the syphon during any power failure. These valves can be easily obtained from Hai Cheong plastics. Place the valve between the pump output to the top tank....anywhere inbetween will do.

• SRC Member

i'm running iwaki and resund md55 side by side now.

for those guys who feel md55 is quiet. give the iwaki a go. it's near silent compared to the resun. ;)

resun has got this irritating hum probably due to the fan.

• SRC Member
thanks cookie :)

for the price of the valve I can get a new sump with fittings for the external. :(

Hahaha bro,

yes if its not too inconvenient, I strongly recommend you redo a sump with drilled side outlets. Remember to place a ball valve to shut it off so that removing of the pump for maintenance purposes will not be a nightmare and will not involve you having to wear a snorkel or own a OSIM jet cleaner. ;)

Thanks for the feedback Alpha and planetg.......planetg pls pm me where to get cheap iwaki. Need one for my beckett project.

• SRC Member

thanks for the advice guys.

Now the next problem is how I plumb in my 1260? I dril lin a hole, install a bulkhead, put in a valve, then how do I connecxt that section to the intake of the Eheim? Is it by hose (is there a hose nozzel for the 1260 intake? If yes, whats the size?)

If nayone can help, that will be great. Putting in my sump order soon.