Sump Design to replace my old sump..

alanseah

• SRC Member
You might like to plan and layout of your skimmer then add another set of baffles to kill the bubbles from the skimmer as well as the overflow outlet :P

dont have place for another set of baffle lor..

beside the overflow and the skimmer is at the same area so water going to the return is coming from the same source...

so I think the new design might be able to handle it... <_<

• SRC Member

the last one is 5" cause if too high u will see water fall very soon.. that's why I reduce the high..

sorry make changes again.. the heigh has been increase to 9" instead cause the RD feeding point is 5" so 9" will safe gaurd from ###### air by the pump if water level is not high

• SRC Member

You'll need an elbow at the inlet so it won't suck in air :P

yup I saw in your sump design.. but I dont find that comfortable with.. cause with a 90 degree angle for ###### in water will reduce flow rate due to head loss... (not sure if true but I believe somehow it will reduce the perform no matter how).

Lastly anyone got an idea a 25mm pipe is able to allow how many litre of water flow per hours???

someone mention 3000l/h but not sure true or not.. cause if like that then issue we all need to just use only those pump with flow rate after minus off head lost with flow rate of 3000l/h else anything higher then that is a waste of power...

anyone can help explain that.. thanx...

yup I saw in your sump design.. but I dont find that comfortable with.. cause with a 90 degree angle for ###### in water will reduce flow rate due to head loss... (not sure if true but I believe somehow it will reduce the perform no matter how).

That is why for my bulkhead I oversized it :P Supposed to be D40 but I used SCH80 40mm so it is one size larger. So I keep my water level lower and still dun have the problem of pump ###### in water.

In fact all my bulkheads are oversized to avoid lost of flow and possible micro bubbles from the pump.

Don't overlook the back flow from the tank after you switch off the pump as that could be quite a significant volume of water.

Lastly anyone got an idea a 25mm pipe is able to allow how many litre of water flow per hours???

someone mention 3000l/h but not sure true or not.. cause if like that then issue we all need to just use only those pump with flow rate after minus off head lost with flow rate of 3000l/h else anything higher then that is a waste of power...

That is for overflow in general. But for pump you have a higher pressure. If what you said is true that means those Iwaki MD55, MX70, MX100 etc are very inefficient already as they have much higher flow than 3000l/h :P

• SRC Member

That is for overflow in general. But for pump you have a higher pressure. If what you said is true that means those Iwaki MD55, MX70, MX100 etc are very inefficient already as they have much higher flow than 3000l/h :P

lolz.. that's why I'm wondering... but anyone can confirm are there a limit to it..??

if overflow only 3000l/h weilong how u handle your overflow cause your return is 8000 and overflow is maybe 3000 then confirm main tank will flood wa...???

• SRC Member

Saw this thread, some thing you may want to consider.

The 2 baffles at 9". The 2nd baffle at 9" is the same as the incoming 1st and this may slow down the flow. Try to reduce the 2nd baffle to 1 to 1.5" lower than the first.

Bulkheads always go for oversize and use minimum 2 just in case. My 4' bulkhead size is 50mm and have 2 of them.

• SRC Member
Saw this thread, some thing you may want to consider.

The 2 baffles at 9". The 2nd baffle at 9" is the same as the incoming 1st and this may slow down the flow. Try to reduce the 2nd baffle to 1 to 1.5" lower than the first.

Bulkheads always go for oversize and use minimum 2 just in case. My 4' bulkhead size is 50mm and have 2 of them.

???? sorry me lousy in piping and sump design..

dont really understand your "Try to reduce the 2nd baffle to 1 to 1.5" lower than the first."

can help point out to me and explain better..

thanx...

• SRC Member

I am not very good at editing your original drawing. You water flows from right side to left side. You just added 2 set of baffles in your re-design to try to get rid of micro bubbles. Let name the pieces from right to left a, b, c, d. All has size of 9"x10". Piece a is silicone to base of sump. Piece b is elevated 1" higher so that water can flow under. Piece c is same as piece a. Piece d again is same as piece b.

What I am highlighting is piece c. This piece should have dimension 8" x 10" instead of 9"x10". 1" lower compared to piece a.

Hope explaination is OK. Sorry, not good at computer graphics.

but looking at your sump pic.. your overflow look like a 25mm to me leh cause mine is also the same size as you..

or maybe I remember wrongly my overflow pipe better tonight go and check..

The view can be deceiving from the photo :P

No way 25mm could have supported our type of flow.