Chronicles of A 6 footer

nim75sg

• SRC Member

Eversince I embarked into Marine Fishkeeping, the decision to include one more 6ft tank is so temptating that I have to delay due to other urgent needs.

Finally, with the blessing of the other half, the decision was made early July that there should be a new 6ft tank in addition to 3 other FOWLR tanks and 1 "Rojak" 6ft tank.

Initial thought was to have a full-fledged Berlin System but later changed my direction as I felt that it didn't complete the "look" without a sandbed.

So instead opted for a half-fledged Berlin System which set the route for a list equipment, the type of filtration, lighting, probe monitors n controllers, protein skimmer, chiller, UV Sterilizer, tubby, power heads for water movement, filter media, piping system, type of aquascaping, etc.

Following postings are sequence of events leading to the setup of the tank which was completed recently with the tank now in "maturing" mode.

On July 29, some of the equipment arrived were Dosing Pump, Deltec T5 80W Lighting, Salt, Ocean Runner Magnetic Centrifugal Pumps, Tubby, George Fischer piping, Kalkwasser Reactor, Denitrator, Fluidised Reactor and Protein Skimmer.

post-34-1092922319.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

This photo shows the Protein Skimmer and George Fischer piping assessories together with the marine salt.

post-34-1092922610.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

Initial order of 20Kgs of salt was not sufficient for the tank and eventually had to buy another packet of Tropic Marin salt to achieve the desired specific gravity of 1.024

post-34-1092922722.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

As it was a half-fledged Berlin System tank, need to have two return pump having its own dedicated drain and at the same time providing to turn the total water capacity through the sump filter at between 14 to 18 timers per hour.

With that on the roadmap, the various flowrate of pumps for a specific purpose are required eg 2 x OR 6500 for return, 1 x 3500 for Chiller, 1 x OR 2500 for Skimmer in addition to the one included with the skimmer, etc.

post-34-1092923234.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

This photo shows both the Kalkwasser Reactor and Denitrator still in the packaging cartons together with a tube of HoldFast Glue for liverock binding.

post-34-1092923395.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

On Aug 1, took delivery of the tank, sump and chennai cabinet but prior to that I had to give a new coat of paint on the walk over the weekend as the possibility of re-painting it is very remote.

Had a short discussion as how to mount the tank due to the limitation of the space caused the pillar on the left side of the wall and finally, it had to proceed with the laying of towels before placing the tank on the cabinet top.

post-34-1092923640.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

Finally .. with two additional helpers, we managed to do it without any excuses of taking another 5 min coffee break.

post-34-1092923906.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

My "Black Beauty" Sump with a reservoir top-up tank on the right ... followed by the inlet chamber from tank, then the skimmer section and last on the left is the return pump section.

No Refugium as this is a half-fledged Berlin System.

post-34-1092924027.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

Doing the final touches before installing the rest of the piping system before doing the freshwater leak test ...

post-34-1092924214.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

Is this the cousin of R2D2???

This Protein Skimmer can supports tank up to capacity of 1500 litres and comes with a OR3500 venturi pump with aspirating needle wheel.

Water supply to the skimmer requires a second pump which I am using a OR2500 here.

post-34-1092925421.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

Nice durso standpipes...Do you have to regulate the air flow or something? I know for D.I.Y versions they suggest installing a control valve to control the air intake or something..

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Wow! looking good bro!!! Will be keeping a close look on this thread, coz I'm planning a 6ft too!!! but may end up with a 5 feet... :( Coz the thought of the $$$ of the 6 ft is really putting me off! :(

Have a good time bro! Keep the pics coming! :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Nice durso standpipes...Do you have to regulate the air flow or something? I know for D.I.Y versions they suggest installing a control valve to control the air intake or something..

Just need a hole at the Durso cap and adjust it up and down ...

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

Pangz: Spent quite alot and that's why I am relying on bread everyday.

Blenny: Yes, it is a good skimmer and kick-in pretty fast too just like the Deltec Skimmer which I am using for another 6ft tank.

RAV-65: The price difference between the 5ft and 6ft is minimal and that was the reason I bite the bullet.

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.