Anemone problem

i've 2 anemone in my tank

the purple tip is eatin healthily but the other (not too sure its name but it has white tips) is not eatin at all ,

hmmm wad can cause a prob like dat ?

been feedin them prawn and sotong meat

...... help ......

• SRC Member

hmmm... i'm no expert at anemones but i remember reading somewhere that anemones don't really need to be fed much coz they have microorganisms living on them that can make food as long as lighting is adequate. In fact my LFS feeds their anemones only once a week on abit of dried plankton, rather than meaty pieces of food. I can try looking up more info on this for u, hang on...

• SRC Member

ok, here it is... Taken from www.wetwebmedia.com:

"Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Most losses in captive systems are the result of over-feeding. How many more times do I feel I need to write this? Bunches! Some anemones have been kept for YEARS without any intentional external feeding. Know your stock! Many anemones (especially larger species) are detritivorous (a polite term meaning they eat poop), planktivorous, and largely chemoautotrophic/photosynthesizing species/individuals that hobbyists try to over-stuff with meaty/prepared foods. My bid for largest cause of loss of anemones is the consequences (lack of oxygen, hydrogen and other sulfide production...) from over-feeding. Cut it out! Within normal temperatures and other conditions, most can and do do well on weekly feedings. If you're going on vacation, leave them alone.

For almost all varieties kept, an occasional (weekly or so) perfusion (wash?) of live brine shrimp, prepared mash of frozen or dried food, or frappe' (as in with your blender) of "fresh" marine food meant for human consumption (shellfish, shrimp, langouste, not-so-oily fish) with or without supplementation. Temporarily turn off your particulate filters and squirt the food onto their tentacular surface.

Some authors suggest the use of beef and other foods unlikely to be encountered in the wild. I do not."

Hope this is helpful... :rolleyes: