Death of my flame angel

Just bought a flame angel yesterday afternoon and it is now dead. I wonder what is wrong, I've acclimatised it over 2 hrs slowly and he was alright last nite. This morning, he was breathing rapidly and died by afternoon. What can be the reasons guys? My tank has been running for 1 year and has 2 false peculas, 1 starfish, 1 hermit crab and 1 snail.

:unsure:

• SRC Member

Flame angels I think are generally hard to catch as they hide in the rocks. Yours might have been cyanide caught and happened to ingest too much cyanide... still alive when you bought it but digestive system badly damaged. As soon as it tries to eat (perhaps in the night) the toxins that cannot be processed by the body kills the fish.

Not saying this is definitely what happened, but is a possibility. :(

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member
Just bought a flame angel yesterday afternoon and it is now dead. I wonder what is wrong, I've acclimatised it over 2 hrs slowly and he was alright last nite. This morning, he was breathing rapidly and died by afternoon. What can be the reasons guys? My tank has been running for 1 year and has 2 false peculas, 1 starfish, 1 hermit crab and 1 snail.

:unsure:

does your tank have a lot of rock work ? dwarf like glazing on lr they can do that 24 7 and wont feel at home w/o them and is there any aggressor bothering him,. i have one coral beauty constantly being harass by my territorial herald from day 0ne and sucumb on day two. try to get the biggest flame possible, at least bigger then the possible aggressor.

and try turning the light off or feeding the rest during thr introduction, this will take attention away from the newbie.

Flame angels I think are generally hard to catch as they hide in the rocks. Yours might have been cyanide caught and happened to ingest too much cyanide... still alive when you bought it but digestive system badly damaged. As soon as it tries to eat (perhaps in the night) the toxins that cannot be processed by the body kills the fish.

Not saying this is definitely what happened, but is a possibility. :(

Most of the fishes are net caught in Hawaii.... DA mentioned recently that some people are using cyanide there to catch fish too, but I guess unless u r real unlucky... Anyway, fishes die for alot of reasons, might not be cyanide.... strange that the fishes are doing well in the LFS till it reaches our tanks....

Acclimatisation is important, but how did u catch the fish? using net? wat's ur Ammonia, nitrate, ph, DOC in ur water? All these can be a factor....

Unless u find the real problem, u might lose more fishes, cyanide caught fishes can live for quite a while too...

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Hi sad to hear abt your flame angel.

Idon't think it is acclimatizing problem cos I dump mine

directly from the bag into the tank (with 15 mins immersion of bag in

refugium).

Prob have to check that the fish is healthy in the LFS and quickly come home

to place it into the tank.

YOu prob have to try again. Angels are usually quite tough.

Ccheers