2 x 2 x 13" Nano

surfedelic

• SRC Member
Nice scaping, looks like a reef plateau in the middle of the ocean - Always wanted to overdrive equipments to size of tank but end up needing bigger equipments.....

Thanks Jimmy. :D

Can't agree any better with you that a bigger tank need alot of resources both time and money to overdrive it .. :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
bro, very cool.

I am also on the overdrive route. Big chiller, big skimmer, big pumps, everything big except my tank :P

Glad to know we came from the same school....

Curently I am testing my system to see how well it is handling the filtration ... i feed at least 3 cube of frozen brine shrimp - sometimes going to 4 cube per day to my coral .. whereas my fish eats flakes ...

Notice a few valonia popping up here and there but very minimum and black aglae (leathery-like aglae) also not noticeable.

May need to get a rabbitfish to add up to the cleaning crew.

Diatom on the glass still ok about 3 days if the feeding maintain at 2 - 3 cube.

The tank water doesn't feel slimy at all ...even when compared to fresh sea water-mixed.... not sure whether it is overskimming. Wonder whether others who uses big skimmer had the same issue.

what do you meant by "The tank water doesn't feel slimy at all".

I know for my case freshly prepared saltwater or old saltwater from the tank also no diff in feeling.

Those rabbit fish might attack your corals (especially clams) if they are hungry and have nothing to eat. A yellow tang or bristletooth tang like chevron :P maybe better idea.

• SRC Member
what do you meant by "The tank water doesn't feel slimy at all".

I know for my case freshly prepared saltwater or old saltwater from the tank also no diff in feeling.

Those rabbit fish might attack your corals (especially clams) if they are hungry and have nothing to eat. A yellow tang or bristletooth tang like chevron :P maybe better idea.

What I meant the freshly prepared salt mix usu have a smooth feel whereas my tank water doesn't feel smooth when rubbing between fingers -it is like when there is too much cal in it ..as this substance is supposed to be chalky in nature ...

I din know a chevron is an effective valonia eater ! Thanks for the tip :) .... will look around .

• SRC Member

I was using instant ocean for some time until it run out of stock .. then bought coral life after I read some guys using it for sps also .... hmmm now that you mention it maybe it was my salt mix ... because I don't remember having this feel the last time ... only recently as i changed the salt mix

I agree the chevron tang .. damn chio .... the price also damn chio :lol: .. was thinking of a kole ... not sure whether they are good in these algae or a sally light foot crab ...

• SRC Member

:off: 1 reason why i m hesitant abt changing my lights to 250W, my tank's depth is onli 41cm, left with 1 feet depth after deducting DSB. oredi using 2 x 150W and 4 x 39W T5s. :ph34r:

I think your lighting is more power than mime ....since your depth is about the same. I think your spread and growth should be better right ..... as i always felt like adding another 150W 10K to accelerate the growth .. as it is very slow for most of the coral ....

How wide is your tank ?

• SRC Supporter

Very nice...

Was contemplating of using a 250W MH for my reef however was a little concern about the effects that it does to a small reef esp when its height is only 18 inches....

But now seeing your 13 inch tall reef under 250W does providein a little more courage in me to pursue the above mentioned.... :lol:

Btw, also looking for a Yellow eye kole to fill the missing tang gap in my reef.... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Very nice...

Was contemplating of using a 250W MH for my reef however was a little concern about the effects that it does to a small reef esp when its height is only 18 inches....

But now seeing your 13 inch tall reef under 250W does providein a little more courage in me to pursue the above mentioned.... :lol:

Btw, also looking for a Yellow eye kole to fill the missing tang gap in my reef.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comment.

Saw your thread regarding your hesitation on 250W DE :lol:

We could exchange note if you are using that .... I have this setup for about 4 months already 250 W 14K - previously was using 250W 10K lighting ... but then too yellow ... sometimes I switch to 150 W DE 20K .. and I dont find any difference ... dont know whether my eyes playing trick on me .. but then the bulb was not burn in yet ...now i think it should be burn in by now .. I still dont find any difference :lol: ... though i got to admit the growth is better.

Your T5 setup might do likewise to me .. :) wouldn't mind switching gears to T5 :rolleyes:

Yah i think your super skimmer should have no problem adding a few more kole .... :)

Currently my tang rather lonely after I sold off my Lemon peel - this guy was beautiful until its appetite change and go for the sps ... flame angel I still miss it ... mime passed away hungrily ..because my auto feeder run out of food for one week and I din notice it ... I think it starve to death .. I stop using it after that. poor fish ....due to my busy schedule.

I saw one kole at LCK ... for awhile already ...color shade pretty clean ..but quite big ...about 3 inch if it suits your tank - you might want to take a peep :)

• SRC Supporter

Thanks for the comment.

Saw your thread regarding your hesitation on 250W DE :lol:

We could exchange note if you are using that .... I have this setup for about 4 months already 250 W 14K - previously was using 250W 10K lighting ... but then too yellow ... sometimes I switch to 150 W DE 20K .. and I dont find any difference ... dont know whether my eyes playing trick on me .. but then the bulb was not burn in yet ...now i think it should be burn in by now .. I still dont find any difference :lol: ... though i got to admit the growth is better.

Your T5 setup might do likewise to me .. :) wouldn't mind switching gears to T5 :rolleyes:

Yah i think your super skimmer should have no problem adding a few more kole .... :)

Currently my tang rather lonely after I sold off my Lemon peel - this guy was beautiful until its appetite change and go for the sps ... flame angel I still miss it ... mime passed away hungrily ..because my auto feeder run out of food for one week and I din notice it ... I think it starve to death .. I stop using it after that. poor fish ....due to my busy schedule.

I saw one kole at LCK ... for awhile already ...color shade pretty clean ..but quite big ...about 3 inch if it suits your tank - you might want to take a peep :)

I'm actually looking for one thats smaller than 2 inches.... 1.5 inch would be good... only issue is I have a Two-Spot Bristletooth already ( a ugly one at that ) and would like to replace it with the more efficient Yellow Eye...

unless anyone here has experience keeping 2 similar tangs in a reef without any problems.....

I think your lighting is more power than mime ....since your depth is about the same. I think your spread and growth should be better right ..... as i always felt like adding another 150W 10K to accelerate the growth .. as it is very slow for most of the coral ....

How wide is your tank ?

my tank is a juwel rio 180.

tank dimension 101cm (L) x 50cm (W) x 41cm (H). <_<

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

I think it is hyacintus ... if I am not wrong. when bought it was a very light pink and some branches was RTN I can even notice it ...

Recovering quite slowly and turing into a darker shade with slight purplish tip. The picture couldn't capture it very well

post-34-1098890760.jpg