Denitrators...Useful?

RAV-65

• SRC Member

Lim Chye Huat .... No wonder your denitrator is not working as your output is not trickle back to the sump.

Either you use a control valve or purchase a Dosing pump from AquaMart but it will cost you about $200+. For a pic of the dosing pump, please refer to my thread in the Members Tank & Specs Section.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...pic=21005&st=30

Here is a pic of the control valve which I am using for my coil Denitrator:

post-7-1100437306.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
meaning the bact eats the deniballs and produces chemicals that reduce nitrate to nitro gas?

That is correct and this is the 3rd stage of the nitrogen cycle or Denitrification Stage.

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member
thinking of setting Live sand and those greenies in my sump to reduce nitrates :)

Getting live sand here doesn't helps ..

Getting some greenies definitely helps and it is best if you can lay your hands on Mangrove as it is more effective than Caulerpa in lowering phosphate and nitrate levels.

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member
Lim Chye Huat .... No wonder your denitrator is not working as your output is not trickle back to the sump.

Either you use a control valve or purchase a Dosing pump from AquaMart but it will cost you about $200+. For a pic of the dosing pump, please refer to my thread in the Members Tank & Specs Section.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...pic=21005&st=30

Here is a pic of the control valve which I am using for my coil Denitrator:

the inlet already come with a control valve ,what you mean is to add a control valve at the outlet right ?

• SRC Member
it is best if you can lay your hands on Mangrove as it is more effective than Caulerpa in lowering phosphate and nitrate levels.

getting mangrove?

well where can we get it? will it overgrown.my sump inside cabinet..

i saw on a ref which is place beside the tank...

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

the inlet already come with a control valve ,what you mean is to add a control valve at the outlet right ?

Since there is a valve for adjusting the waterflow, adjusting this will provide you the approx correct drips back to your tank.

You don't need to add another valve at the outlet hose.

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

thne if we employ dsb...wat food does the bact ingest to produce the chem tt reduce no3 to n2?

There ain't anything at all because nitrate is the end product of nitrite.

Only three ways to get remove nitrate from aquarium water:

1) Partial water changes frequently

2) Using Water plants

3) Using a denitrator

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

getting mangrove?

well where can we get it? will it overgrown.my sump inside cabinet..

i saw on a ref which is place beside the tank...

Getting Mangrove ???

B4 one can get free mangrove from the beach at the end of Lim Chu Kang Road (near the Jetty) during low tide but now it is so muddy and dirty that it is not worth the effort of doing it.

Rather you take a weekend visit to Bintan Island with your family, spouse, or whoever and you can get them during low tide from the beach.

But be forewarned that if you place it in the sump, ensure that you place the mangrove plant in a tubberware with holes pierced around the sides for the roots to grow. Don't just throw in the sump as the roots will "choke" the pumps.

Likewise, if you place it in the main tank.

Done it before and not worth the effort as you there are alot of housekeeping for this plant.

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member
den wat's the pt of dsb may i ask?

That's why my tanks do not have a deep sand bed and max height only 2" thick for that "look" of a sea bed ... :D

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

......i'm very confused...first people tell me dsb very useful

now u tell me no use.......so wat issit?

got use or not?i spent alot on the sand ok!

There are still people who strongly believe in DSBs as it has worked for them... but u need to set it up properly and also wait for it to mature... :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

DSB is one of the system... to reduce nitrate. Reefers usually will use two or more system/method like :DSB , good skimmer , de-nitrators , refugium (effective if refugium's volume =1/2 of your tank or greater.) together.

in my opinion..shoelevy> can't said > majority or minority reefer believe DSB .... DSB is effective >when you knows- how to use it properly.

All the methods/system.... have (-) and (+) points. Some of them helps to cover (-) points of another system..

For me.. i will use DSB and de-nitrator together. both help to reduce nitrate.. also.. if oneday> DSB failed ..the de-nitrator acts as a 'stand-by'....

Getting live sand here doesn't helps ..

Getting some greenies definitely helps and it is best if you can lay your hands on Mangrove as it is more effective than Caulerpa in lowering phosphate and nitrate levels.

It has been proven that mangroves are only effective when used in very very large amounts and the typical sump does not cater for that much mangroves.

You probably need to have your sump exposed to direct sunlight or MH lights because mangroves need a lot of light!

Only three ways to get remove nitrate from aquarium water:

1) Partial water changes frequently

2) Using Water plants

3) Using a denitrator

There are actually about 7 ways... you forgot:

1. NNR (Natural Nitrate Reduction) methods like use of a DSB or ample LR of suitable size and density to provide anaerobic conditions for denitrating bacteria that reduces nitrates to harmless nitrogen gas. This method is the most natural & effective way.

2. Use of enzyme-based additives like AZ-NO3 to convert nitrates. AZ-NO3 is very well known for its fast effectiveness but it's one of the most expensive methods.

3. Using sulfur beads in a reactor to reduce the nitrates by bacterial action. (similar to the typical denitrator which needs a carbon source like sugar/alcohol).

4. Binding agents like Polyfilters and zeolite also do bind nitrates although up to a limited capacity.

Use of enzyme-based additives like AZ-NO3 to convert nitrates. AZ-NO3 is very well known for its fast effectiveness but it's one of the most expensive methods.

juz something to add, IMHO, best to hv a good and reliable skimmer to work well with enzyme-based additives in exporting DOC. :peace:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

A reason why DSBs do not work for some reefers is because their bioload is way too much for the size of their DSB. I am talking about surface area, not just the depth.

Also perhaps they have large creatures that disrupt the anaerobic regions by their constant digging & burrowing actions. Of course, you are not supposed to dig up the sand either, allowing oxygen to diffuse to the lower regions of the DSB.

• SRC Member

Telling non-seasoned reefers about 3 ways to remove nitrates already more than a handfull .. ;)

More than seven methods .... they will fall off from their chairs :D

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

thne if we employ dsb...wat food does the bact ingest to produce the chem tt reduce no3 to n2?

For NNR (LR or DSB) there is no need for denitrifying bacteria to have any other form of 'food' other than nitrates unlike denitrators which you have to constantly feed the bacteria with alcohol, sugar or other carbon-based food.

IMO, you should use denitrators in higher-load tanks like Fish Only tanks when there is insufficient NNR filtration capabilities. Denitrators have the inconvenience of constant monitoring and tuning as the water flow tends to drop over time due to particulates & slime in the water clogging the tubings further, causing the possibility of a totally anaerobic condition causing a crash and releasing hydrogen sulfide back into the tank.

You have to weight the pros and cons of using a denitrator.

Telling non-seasoned reefers about 3 ways to remove nitrates already more than a handfull .. ;)

More than seven methods .... they will fall off from their chairs :D

Better to be awakened than to live in ignorance. ;)

Anyway... NNR is the basis of natural reefkeeping and should be taught from the start.

• SRC Member

hmm.... I think Live Rock adds bio-diversities of live-form rather than use it as a form of denitrators... also, need to add good lighting to feed the coraline algaes... IMO, LS is better or if you got space then add macro algae... but not everybody is in favour with a refugium as it also takes time to mature and it's hard to control the algae from going to main tank... but I use a refugium with DSB and it works well for me...