Thinking of setting up a 4ft x 2 x 2.5H Tank

peong

• SRC Member

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of setting up a 4ft x 2 x 2.5H tank. Decided to keep my existing Angels n Tangs. What type of corals do you think suitable for them? I hope to try on keeping some colorful corals with additional lighting and chiller support. Any advice? Also want to know what type of sump design is best for me too? DSB? etc... Many thanks!

• SRC Member

Thanks, these are my lovers:

Majestic 4"

Imperor 2"

Blue libs 3"

Blue Face 3"

Eibli 1.5"

Blue Tang 2.5

Sailfin Tang 2"

Is there a way to set up two tanks with share of one sump, one for FOWLR and one for Corals? The Corals thank can be just a 2-3ft tank, or partition my 4ft to two partions???? anyone idea? :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

wa........i've never seen anione who claims such an ambitious idea and i'm pretty impressed by this idea

although sadly, i can't gif any advice because i can't foresee any disadvantages except this....small fishes can get too close to the top rite side of the reef section and get sucked over to the fowlr section

i'm not kidding...my clown gobies love to get sucked over to my overflow compartment and end up in my sump

this is about the only thing which i think can go wrong but seriously...i tink there'll be more problems

usually...problems only become visible wen u set it up and realise sth is wrong so do think about this very carefully

• SRC Member

thanks shoelevy, it's just a brief drawing. Off course, there will be a gap block thing at both side, same as normal overflow system.

Just for more information, my design is a three sides view display, and the glass in between the tank will be in black.

• SRC Member

Slight modification with return water to FOWLR tank, so the flow to Reef tank will not be too strong.

Any recommendation for my lighting use?

Reef Tank: 2ft 150 watt MH ?

FOWLR Tank: 3ft 4 x T5 ?

Anyone wanna sell ur chiller & lighting for my system? WTB... :D

Updated drawing:

My_Tank_Design.doc

• SRC Member

Can I ask why u want to divide your display tank into two? To me, the dividing line is very ugly unless u have ways to cover it. I think u will have the following problem

1) Reef tank required stronger currents than fish only tank.

2) How powerfully is your return going to be? A very strong single pump might be too much for any livestocks and a smaller one will not have enough turnover rate.

If you like to have two type of display tank, do something like reefer, Nickel's tank. Attached is his thread of selling his 5 feet tank.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23550

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Make an appointment with him to view his tank. I have seen it and is impressed. The design is carefully planned out and the care and effort taken into designing and caring for the tank is obvious.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Thanks kareen,

I had actually modified my desired design into a separate system, forum discuss is now under "Setup a marine tank".

Thanks again for introducing Nickel's tank to me. I really must pay him a visit...

But, problem is how to move his tank over? how will do the entire setup for me???

Anyway, I will ask him. :rolleyes:

All reefers, pls stop posting to here, instead, goes to "Setup a marine tank". tks