Questions pls help thnx

• SRC Member

I've got a few questions but I don't have time to write them all separately so:

Are the PL lite sets at Nature for a 2ft tank with Osram bulbs worth their price?

Do they use e-ballasts?

Is the fan without a box sold at Nature (on shelf) second hand? ($30)

How is the Sealife Float Switch used?

Thnx a lot

• SRC Member

Hi,

Only can answer one of your question. The fans on the shelf are display unit only. When you ask, Chan will get a new one from his storeroom.

I bought the 6-gang fan from him. Good deal. Elsewhere selling about $30 more.

Limpc

• SRC Member
I've got a few questions but I don't have time to write them all separately so:

Are the PL lite sets at Nature for a 2ft tank with Osram bulbs worth their price?

Do they use e-ballasts?

Is the fan without a box sold at Nature (on shelf) second hand? ($30)

How is the Sealife Float Switch used?

Thnx a lot

the lights at Nature are usually quite worth.

which set of 2feet light are you talking about, there are single tube one with iron-ballast ($39 i think) and e-ballast($60 i think), there are double tube one with e-ballast ($95 i think).

those using e-ballast are more expensive, you can ask the boss which are which.

• SRC Member

Thanks, bb! knew i could count on you for help! :)

I would like the e-ballast lite but can I just modify my existing PL hood by adding a small e-ballast inside? same for my Ocean Free 18"bulb normal fluorescent tube. But dunno where to get the ballasts of suitable wattages (a bit higher better). Is it easy to rewire the ballast inside?

P.S I went to Harlequin's and Sealife yesterday. Got the usual stock.

Limpc, do you think one big fan or the row of small black fans would be more suitable for my 2ft? The big fan is cheaper though.

Anyone else can answer the float switch question???

• SRC Member
Thanks, bb! knew i could count on you for help! :)

I would like the e-ballast lite but can I just modify my existing PL hood by adding a small e-ballast inside? same for my Ocean Free 18"bulb normal fluorescent tube. But dunno where to get the ballasts of suitable wattages (a bit higher better). Is it easy to rewire the ballast inside?

P.S I went to Harlequin's and Sealife yesterday. Got the usual stock.

Limpc, do you think one big fan or the row of small black fans would be more suitable for my 2ft? The big fan is cheaper though.

Anyone else can answer the float switch question???

hahaha.. no problem HQX!

of course you can add a small e-ballast inside, provide you got the space la, usually e-ballast are a bit bigger than iron ballast.

if you FL tube is 18", the wattage should be 15watt. i will be taking my last paper on 8th Nov, going to start work on all my lights! right now one of my tank got no light but i already got a empty hood. if you got any problem in the wiring i can help you! i got electric drill to drill holes too, i live in tampines in case you are interested.

where is Harlequin's?

Sealife sounds very familar to me, where is it?

i just went to MarineLife at Hong Leong, 3 boxes of new stock came today, lots of Tangs i think, they are still unpacking when i was there.

Reborn got stock too but not much.

Kwang's got not much new stock.

Reef's World also nothing much but got some nice maroon clown.

sorry cannot help you on float switch, i don't even know what's that.. ehehehe

• SRC Member

Oh, forget the DIY and piecing bits together, I'll just get the nature fan (the single big fan) with a holder at $30.

Does nature sell e-ballasts (alone and not in a hood) for 36watt PL lites, and e-ballasts for 15 watt fluorescent bulbs or rated slightly higher?

P.S liverock, I just posted in your Sun Coral thread.

BB, thanks for the offer, I'll ask you if I need help with wiring. If the eballast too big and can just let it sit outside the hood or something?

Harlequin is in Cavan road rmbr? Sealife is at balestier.

I don't like that the owner of Harlequin smokes in the aircon shop. Cannot observe the nice corals without inhaling smoke :ph34r:

The uncle at Sealife gave me a $2 discount on my bulb. I think it was because I told him his clownfish jumped out of the tank and he quickly put it back :D

• SRC Member
Oh, forget the DIY and piecing bits together, I'll just get the nature fan (the single big fan) with a holder at $30.

Does nature sell e-ballasts (alone and not in a hood) for 36watt PL lites, and e-ballasts for 15 watt fluorescent bulbs or rated slightly higher?

P.S liverock, I just posted in your Sun Coral thread.

BB, thanks for the offer, I'll ask you if I need help with wiring. If the eballast too big and can just let it sit outside the hood or something?

Harlequin is in Cavan road rmbr? Sealife is at balestier.

I don't like that the owner of Harlequin smokes in the aircon shop. Cannot observe the nice corals without inhaling smoke :ph34r:

The uncle at Sealife gave me a $2 discount on my bulb. I think it was because I told him his clownfish jumped out of the tank and he quickly put it back :D

yes nature do sell e-ballast alone for 36watt PL lights, actually they are one of the cheapest place to get them.

36watt PL light uses 40watt e-ballast, there is also 20watt e-ballast for 20watt and below tubes.

sure sure HQX, actually can also leave the e-ballast outside the hood, actually it's more cooling this way but have to be very careful as they are high voltage at the ballast. maybe you can go Sim Lim tower and get one of those black boxes to house the ballast outside the hold.

hehehe.. okok.. now i remember where is Harlequin, the place very very clean and looks expensive. actually i don't really like to go places like Harlequin and Sealife as they look way too clean. not that clean is not good la but i just prefer to go places like Kwang's.

one more thing, i don't like to go air-con fish shop to buy things as my fish at home got no air-con, very scare they cannot get use. went to Reefworld, their tank are at 29C.

unless i on air con la.. ehehehe

hahaha.. that's good.. my bro also get discount from Sealife as he go there very often and more or less got most of his stuffs there.

• SRC Member

Hi Hongxiqian,

The old saying always say BIG is good. I'm not sure. Are the big ones AC ? If they are then, I'm a little concern. Once I drop my DC fan into the tank and nothing was damage, not even the fan. Lucky man.

Cannot image if AC touched the saltwater.

Anyway, I manage to maintain my tank at 28 deg C. The fan is switched on when light is on and off when light is off. Try to cut some corner and save some money.

Limpc