how to raise kh??

• SRC Member

my kh is currently 7.... driping kalk but kh doesnt seems to increase.... intending to dripseachem reef builder raises carbonate alkalinity... but worried it may make my calcium drop...will that happen pls advice....

:erm:

:thanks:

seachem reef builder is okay when u dose it seperately from kalkwasser - shouldn't affect calcium alot. Do not dose them together... not advisable.

Also, if your magnesium is low - getting it above 7 will be very hard. It happens to me too; I dose magnesium to a 'acceptable' limit b4 cont with my seachem reef builder. (Pls use a magnesium test kit to check)

• SRC Member

or the more cheaper way.

buy baking soda at those ntuc super markets.

just add in a pinch and it will rise abit. read it somewhere from a book.

i used to do that but not now. using tropic marine triple buffer now.

well... its all depend on u, whether u wanna spend money or not.

all the best.

happy reefing,

LaW

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

my kh is currently 7.... driping kalk but kh doesnt seems to increase.... intending to dripseachem reef builder raises carbonate alkalinity... but worried it may make my calcium drop...will that happen pls advice....

Suggest u check your magnesium 1st.... with low magnesium, ur kh is always gonna drop... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi. :D

Im using seacheam reef builder for raises Carbonate Alkalinity.

Im using e powder type to mix with water myself.

For me,it increases my KH n ALK.As for Cal,dun noe y,it increase abitbit when my KH n ALK increases.Dun noe y oso..

Mayb some senior here can advise as im oso curious abt tis.. <_<

Tks :thanks:

• SRC Member
seachem reef builder is okay when u dose it seperately from kalkwasser - shouldn't affect calcium alot. Do not dose them together... not advisable.

Also, if your magnesium is low - getting it above 7 will be very hard. It happens to me too; I dose magnesium to a 'acceptable' limit b4 cont with my seachem reef builder. (Pls use a magnesium test kit to check)

y don dose wit kalk can advice??

• SRC Member

y don dose wit kalk can advice??

• SRC Member

Just trying to organize my thoughts...

- dozing Kalk does not increase your kh as it supplements/replaces the daily intake/consumption of your corals in amounts that are proportional to their take up.

- dozing Kalk is a limited to your evaporation rate,

... ie, if your tank evaporates 1.5l of water a day, & if replacing 1.5l of kalk solution a day increases your tank's dkh by 1, then thats fine if you lose 1 dkh a day...perfect.

- Ca will not decrease, with the increase input of alk solution... which is used to set-right the value of your dkh/alkalinity initially. It is not used every-day, unless you wish to bring up the value in stages, but once that value has been reached, it should stop.

- buffers are often use directly to set-right the value of your pH first, and indirectly use to increase alkalinity.

- Mag is not a function of dkh but of calcium... it is found that with proper levels of Mag, corals will calcify easier

Suggest u check your magnesium 1st.... with low magnesium, ur kh is always gonna drop...

???

- kh will always drop over time, with or without low magnesium, most likely even without low mag, it will drop.

• SRC Member
Hi. 

Im using seacheam reef builder for raises Carbonate Alkalinity.

Im using e powder type to mix with water myself.

For me,it increases my KH n ALK.As for Cal,dun noe y,it increase abitbit when my KH n ALK increases.Dun noe y oso..

Mayb some senior here can advise as im oso curious abt tis.. 

Tks 

Hi marble!

If you read what the reef builder contain, u will know why..... Reef builder contain carbonate, bicarbonate, chloride and sulfate salts of sodium, magnesium, calcuim, strontium and potassium.

My guess is that Seachem uses : sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, magnesium sulfate, calcium chloride, strontium chloride, potassium ??? salts in a blend that is scientifically proven formula. So when you add this, everything increase abitbit also lah. :lol:

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Agree on most part of what u said..... As for Mg part..... although it is true that KH will drop over time, with a low Mg it is even more difficult to bring up the KH. I believe many of the reefers experience this eg. Patrick123 and thus lead to a thread on how to raise Mg in a more economical way.....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm