Skimmer floods everytime i feed.WHY ??

• SRC Member

HI all,

can anyone answer my question pls?

I have been using this skimmer since a few weeks ago.

I tried asking around for help, but everytime ppl tells me that i have to wait for the skimmer to KICK in.

Why is that everytime when i feed brineshrimps, or frozen food, the collection cap of my skimmer floods with very watery skimmate.

So if u asked, ive been clearing skimmate twice a day..

And im getting tired....

Help pls

ps. am using macro 250 and a 2ft tank with capacity of around 20g.

• SRC Member

There're a few things U have to look into......1st...the water level in Ur skimmer....maybe can set at the bottom of the funnel-shape of the collection cup.....2nd....some food may contain quite high level of animal fats....of course from the food product itself.....as such this fats may have effect on the bubbles that are formed....its not only food....at time the filter wool that U use may also have such effect when U replace them

BTW...where U place the skimmer ?....in-sump or out ?....or do U hang it at the side of the tank ?......if U have a sump then try to place it where the water level is always constant....try not to place it at the last compartment as the water level there always fluctuate due to evaporation, etc....

• SRC Member

Try to lower down Ur water level.......maybe can try placing it outside of the tank instead.....but care MUST BE TAKEN that all joint are sealed temporarily...maybe by those plumbing tapes........

Maybe U can post a picture of Ur current situation....then see how can we progress from there..... :peace:

check from Henry and got this info:

Feeding Henry's mix will and do cause yr skimmer to bubble alot due to his special mixed sea food. Lots of cockles and prawns :lol:

My skimmer also overflows during feeding, so i just tune down the air valve instead.

the adverse effect usually last abt 10min then goes back to normal :unsure: