Deltec AP850

riot

• SRC Member

OK looks like the waterline I put is still too low. Sorry did not check after I post so this morning skimmate still collecting on the spill over. Will get back to night and raise it up high till the O ring level. Sure wont floood out right?

Thanks guys.

Piglet- pix out once I get more skimmate in the pot.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Ok by now the spill over is gunked up cant even look thru, so decided to take it off and clean up.

Pix of skimmate collected 48 hours.

It is a brownish liquid, diluted with a bit of overspill I encountered when I overtuned. My initial error was to undertune, so the water level was below the bayonet fitting/ O ring area, and I managed to get dry fluff that encrusted the spill over lip. Tuning to slightly below the O ring led to wetter material.

Note that since Friday, I have not fed the fish, and normally I feed very sparingly. A cube of mysis or pinch of cyclopeze twice a week. 5 fish (small damsel and clowns) plus medium 1 yellow tang.

post-14-1109150781.jpg

• SRC Member

My personal and current feelings towards the Deltec-

A bit more complicated than HS to tune - I ran my old HS2000 with full air and valve open, no problem. The deltec maybe coz its still new a bit more sensitive.

Perfomance so far is pretty good. Very similar to my old HS- infact no difference. Therefore, I suspect that the needlewheel technology employed by the two companies are equally efficient and effective. A HS for the same size is equal to a similarly sized Deltec.

Secondly, did upsizing to a larger skimmer do anything for my reef? The gunk taken out by the huge Deltec is equal to the skimmate taken out by my itsy bitsy HS F2000. The smaller HS takes over (assuming) 95% detritus from the system, the Deltec takes over 95%. Since my system is just 400L, the HS is sized perfectly, the Deltec oversized.

However, for a larger system, the smaller HS that I used would not be able to accept a larger turnover, whereas the Deltec Ap850 is able. It is also more able to respond to sudden and additional workload in case of die offs, as compared to the smaller HS.

Therefore, the logic is: for a fixed sized system, all things being equal, a smaller skimmer suitably rated, will work as effectively as an over rated skimmer. However, when things are in flux, the larger skimmer should be able to correct the disequilibrium faster than the smaller skimmer. (chim right?)

post-14-1109152214.jpg

Sorry, my comments were aimed towards Dr Evil, nothing wrong with Deltec.

In UK Deltec and Aquamedic tend to go head to head. Each have fans.

I bought the Aquamedic 5000 baby rather than the 850 purely on the recommendation of the shop that runs both skimmers on their systems. However i believe more people in the UK use the 850 than the 5000

In the UK the prices work out about the same for both, i dont know the actual prices here but i heard that the 5000 sells for about$1800, which i think is well overpriced, $1200 would be more realistic.

In some respects the 850 does have advantages and no question you have bought a great skimmer, just suprised its taken singaporeans so long to figure this out.

So the 5000 baby is over priced here i think.

UK price is about £400, which includes 17.5% VAT which equates to a price around $1000 this includes the shops margin(they are cheaper in mainland Europe). Allowing for an additional freight cost, $1800 sounds a little steep. For that money in the Uk you can get the 5000 Twin.

From the prices listed its easy to see which gives the "biggest bang for the buck"

The A-200-2x1260 specs: (from H&S website)

Surface: 400 mm x 340 mm

Pump: 2x Eheim 1260/65W

Max. Size Of The Tank: 2200 Litres

Input: 20 mm

Output: 50 mm

Skimmer Body: 200 mm

Height: 820 mm

The AP920 specs: (from deltec website)

For Aquariums up to:

Heavy Stocking 1800 Ltrs (400 gals)

Normal Stocking 2500 Ltrs (550 gals)

Water Throughput:

3000 Ltr./ h (667 gall/h)

Dimensions:

L: 620mm W: 340mm H: 980mm

Skimmer body: 250mm

• SRC Member

That was the main factor in me switching from HS to Deltec. The price difference when I was informed by Weileong nearly blew me off my seat, hence the sudden order for the Deltec. A simple exchange of information saved me close to $1k. :)

Big fat thanks to WL once again.