mechanical filter

hi,

i am wondering if you guys use mechanical filter in your tank (eg. filter wool).

since finding out from reading that coral chips and filter wool both traps stuff inside them which in turn will lead to higher NO3 level, i have removed all my coral chips and biohome. now i am thinking if i should stop using filter wool as well.

but some questions first, without such mechanical filters, how do we remove those detritus which the filters has been trapping?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Used to use filter wool, bio-balls of the sort...for my mechanical filter.....through the years of using them, especially the filter wool...I find it quite troublesome since it will choke once too much detritus get trapped....& my water is not that clean either......

Presently I already removed all the bio-balls except some in my pre-filter to muffle the sound of falling water, removed most of the coral chips except the big size which is in my sump 1st compartment, all ceramic ring removed, still used the bio-home though...too expensive just to throw away.... :D .....for the wool I replace with those black filter sponges to trapped bigger waste (if any) &since with filter wool the skimmer still skim out sludge from the minute waste then, I just use a better skimmer.....so far ....satisfied.....