Leather Fingers Not Doing Good

huanjie

• SRC Member

HI, I have bought this big leather finger white with luminous green branches(hair) . It has been in the tank for 2 weeks, looks really fine in the first week. but have not been opening for two days, and today its excreting lots of milky stuffs into the tank, I thought of removing it from the tank, but somehow some of the branches came out and indicate its still alive, so... what should I do, if I leave it in the tank ,it keeps giving out the milky stuff ( or is it decomposing ?) I stand the risk of tank been heavily polluted, if I took it out, it will sure die, what Should I do ?

Thanks !

sorry not realy know what is leather finger.

for leather it will do some self cleaning process by generate a milky stuffs. and the stuff will peel off from it after few days. this process can help them do cleaning to itself. for me i won't do anything for it. just let it be. just make sure it have current flow through the leather. :D

pls double check with others commend ,

better post some photo see see lar :yeah:

post-6-1062578987.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
nice sia.. how much huh... ???

u mean my leather ?? about 40 ;)

but suspect this is dye color. now become light brown :sick:

ps: my tank condition also NG :sick:

$40 for a leather is a rip off. It can be bought for $5-$8. <_<

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

$40????

wah u bought sps is it??? or wat??

actually finger leather or any leather coral.. is hardy.. but i can say it needs good water condition also..

did u cycle your tank properly??

place it near to stinging corals??

sometimes it leather can release some toxic to hurt other corals over territorial..

mine leather i put it near strong wave and is doing great.. only under one antinic and marine white light t8 fl bulbs

• SRC Member

I dont usually say this, but sometimes its pure luck when it comes to leathers...

About a month ago, i bought a Toadstool and the perimeter of the toadstool degenerated overnight.

Today I bought a toadstool, and it polyped out in hours.

As they always say for leather corals, dont give up on them till you see dead, rotting tissue. They are MOODY corals and can take weeks to recover from shipping or stress from new tank conditions. But if you do see rotting flesh, throw it away. Rotting Leathers foul tank water Big Time.

I hope you do not have a Spaghetti Leather, Sinularia Flexibilis. These are one of the most Toxic soft corals that are available to us aquarists. They are also one of the hardest to keep. They will require more current than normal leathers, and the current should only be at the fingers and not the main stalk.

I bought a Spaghetti from someone about 2 weeks ago, and it was looking so pathetic that I was about to give up on it a few days ago. Luckily I didnt, cos today I saw it shedding its mucus layer, which my Red Sea Sailfin voraciously ate up.

Cheers~

• SRC Member

$40 for a leather is a rip off. It can be bought for $5-$8. <_<

IMO, $40 for the Leather are too..... exp.......???? They are belong to soft corals... and Not Hard Corals...... : :fear::fear:

Where did U brought it from....... :):):)

sorry not realy know what is leather finger.

for leather it will do some self cleaning process by generate a milky stuffs. and the stuff will peel off from it after few days. this process can help them do cleaning to itself. for me i won't do anything for it. just let it be. just make sure it have current flow through the leather. :D

pls double check with others commend ,

better post some photo see see lar :yeah:

It look bleach or am i colour blind

yah, the leather looks bleached more like anything else...wah, $40 for a piece of leather is a rip off man. i would suggest not going to the lfs anymore... can share which one izzit too. at least we'll know the baddies around. haha

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• SRC Member

If your leather is shedding its outer waxy layer, please please have a pack of carbon in your tank. The waxy whitish layer has been known to cause corals to close or even die if the wax lands on or around other corals. Actually if you're keeping leathers its best to have Carbon all the time in small amounts to absorb chemicals released. The chemicals can stunt the growth of other corals and even cause death.

Anyway, i have removed my Spaghetti Leather, Sinularia Flexibilis. Too many bad reviews about its toxin. Feel very unfortable with it in my tank.

• SRC Member

No woris leathers r tough chaps. Just gv em strong current & gd lighting n they'll thrive. My even got badly mauled by my clown trigger once but now has fully recovered and growing very well. My trigger also leaves it

alone now= probably tasted very yucky

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :