How to intro fish into tank??

• SRC Member

HI bro n sis... :D

Anyone got any idea how to intro new fishes to tank wic have aggressive fishes lik purple tank n dotty back???

I bought a firefish yest n it was distrub by these 2 fishes untill it jump out of e tank n DIE :cry: .

At 1st i leave it in e beta container in e tank (Those floating type)to let him get use to e envrionmt 1st.But b4 i can close e top of e beta box,he jumped in2 e tank.Try to catch it out but he was too fast.

Then i saw it gana chase here n there...E nx think i noe when i come bk at night is tat he is death as he jumped out..... :cry:

Pls advise on any tricks tat i can do??

Dun try to ask me to fish out e 2 fishes 1st as they r equally hard to catch too.

:thanks:

• SRC Member
HI bro n sis... :D

Anyone got any idea how to intro new fishes to tank wic have aggressive fishes lik purple tank n dotty back???

I bought a firefish yest n it was distrub by these 2 fishes untill it jump out of e tank n DIE :cry: .

At 1st i leave it in e beta container in e tank (Those floating type)to let him get use to e envrionmt 1st.But b4 i can close e top of e beta box,he jumped in2 e tank.Try to catch it out but he was too fast.

Then i saw it gana chase here n there...E nx think i noe when i come bk at night is tat he is death as he jumped out..... :cry:

Pls advise on any tricks tat i can do??

Dun try to ask me to fish out e 2 fishes 1st as they r equally hard to catch too.

1. I use a specimen tank with holes cut into it. Let the new fish hang around in the specimen tank for at least a week. The aggressors will have to work out their issues with plastic. Plus, new fish will learn not to be so easily cowed.

2. Rearrange the rock works, decor, so that new territories must be established.

Not 100% though...last resort is still to fish out aggresive fish.

• SRC Member

i agree especially with salivateforme pt 2.

~ Rearrange the rock works, decor, so that new territories must be established.

i had same problem like u too.. one LFS had suggest i intro another 2-3 fishes together so as to divert those aggressive fishes attention. (make sure u are keeping those LS nar :P ) and most of the time they duno who to chase..

The last time my ex-damsel attacked my Dotty too but all gone together..

Now had Another Dotty who dun mix well with others till now, especially when i intro my Firefish.. and i intro 3 Firefish at the same time.. starting they was chasing like mad.. soon, they got tired of the game, one got exhausted and gone the next day.. i left 2 firefish now.. somtime they see each other they juz "siam" nia.. :lol: soon they get over it and u start to see them outta the tank again.. ;)

:peace:

• SRC Member

I am counting the days when I must release my pretty percula into the main tank. Three more weeks of quarantine...I still haven't a faintest idea how I'm going to remove the blue damsel from the picture.

Another tip I learned from Fenner's book is to release the new fish at night.

• SRC Member

tks for e reply :D

My nx fishes in mind is flame angle or bicolor angle.Do u guys think they will get bully by my dottyback n purple tang???

hmm......

Anyway do flame angle n bi color angle eat like a pig n shit like one too???

tks :thanks:

• SRC Member
I am counting the days when I must release my pretty percula into the main tank. Three more weeks of quarantine...I still haven't a faintest idea how I'm going to remove the blue damsel from the picture.

Another tip I learned from Fenner's book is to release the new fish at night.

realeasing the fish at night might help a bit but u must be warned that aggression will start the next day :fear:

as a matter of fact, if ur percula is of a bigger size than the blue damsel, ur percula might not be bullied ;)

• SRC Member
tks for e reply :D

My nx fishes in mind is flame angle or bicolor angle.Do u guys think they will get bully by my dottyback n purple tang???

hmm......

Anyway do flame angle n bi color angle eat like a pig n shit like one too???

i tink angel shld be alright ;)

but be warned that dwarf angels might hav mischievous mouth to peck on polyps n corals :)

hi bro

don't know whether this will help:

i used to intro fish directly, the losses are extremely high if you are intro-ing expensive fishes. expensive = delicate

i had 3 x 0.5 in BT (dory) i kept them in a refugium or another box for 1 month then intro.

now i am doing for my ugly angel.

i missed buying my multi-color angel yesterday ... sigh ... missed ... missed .... missed ... it is only 1 inch big ... chio

percula pair i just chunk them in, no problem. angels and tangs better think harder ... :)

the reasons for me are as follows:

all my damsels are 0.75 in large and super aggressive and i have 20 of them in the main tank.

the new fish needs to acclimatised with the new pH and salinity, as well as the environment and their neighbours.

doing these changes all at one go will likely kill the new fishes.

so the separate box is to make them get used to the pH and water.

after that, i need to feed them ... most of fishes are wild-caught. if you like that fish it is likely that the fish is WC. if not, after the LFS feeds for 2 weeks and then you buy. the fish will not be the best looking specimen. this is our hobbyist delima.

buy fast to get chio ones. then WC leh.

so one needs to train them to the food we had. normally frozen then flake.

after about a month, they are quite fierce in eating, then intro in the main tank will not kill any fish liao. the new fish can eat and fight at the same time ...

remember in the training box you need a trainer i.e., a lau-chio-bu around to teach the newbies how to eat flakes.

this is only my take ....

have fun ...

lizard

• SRC Member

i tink angel shld be alright ;)

but be warned that dwarf angels might hav mischievous mouth to peck on polyps n corals :)

I dun think i will go into keepin coral.

I onli have anemone,feature dust worm n star fish.

Will angle eat or peack at them???

tks.. :thanks:

• SRC Member
hi bro

don't know whether this will help:

i used to intro fish directly, the losses are extremely high if you are intro-ing expensive fishes. expensive = delicate

i had 3 x 0.5 in BT (dory) i kept them in a refugium or another box for 1 month then intro.

now i am doing for my ugly angel.

i missed buying my multi-color angel yesterday ... sigh ... missed ... missed .... missed ... it is only 1 inch big ... chio

percula pair i just chunk them in, no problem. angels and tangs better think harder ... :)

the reasons for me are as follows:

all my damsels are 0.75 in large and super aggressive and i have 20 of them in the main tank.

the new fish needs to acclimatised with the new pH and salinity, as well as the environment and their neighbours.

doing these changes all at one go will likely kill the new fishes.

so the separate box is to make them get used to the pH and water.

after that, i need to feed them ... most of fishes are wild-caught. if you like that fish it is likely that the fish is WC. if not, after the LFS feeds for 2 weeks and then you buy. the fish will not be the best looking specimen. this is our hobbyist delima.

buy fast to get chio ones. then WC leh.

so one needs to train them to the food we had. normally frozen then flake.

after about a month, they are quite fierce in eating, then intro in the main tank will not kill any fish liao. the new fish can eat and fight at the same time ...

remember in the training box you need a trainer i.e., a lau-chio-bu around to teach the newbies how to eat flakes.

this is only my take ....

have fun ...

lizard

Wow sei bro,

U got so many fishes ah??20damsel??Actaully damsel is nice n cheap man but beri e aggressive n hard to catch if u wan to fish them out.keke :D

So wat type of training container r u refering to??Those floating beta box ah??

• SRC Member
as a matter of fact, if ur percula is of a bigger size than the blue damsel, ur percula might not be bullied ;)

Hmmn..I hope so...but I think a clownfish's aggression will be tempered in the absence of host anemone, which I don't intend to keep because it crashed my dad's tank 10 years ago.

• SRC Member

Wow sei bro,

U got so many fishes ah??20damsel??Actaully damsel is nice n cheap man but beri e aggressive n hard to catch if u wan to fish them out.keke :D

So wat type of training container r u refering to??Those floating beta box ah??

a more pleasant alternative to 'starter fish' like damsel is the chromis...;)

• SRC Member

Hmmn..I hope so...but I think a clownfish's aggression will be tempered in the absence of host anemone, which I don't intend to keep because it crashed my dad's tank 10 years ago.

:D My 2 small true percula clown dun care abt wat is happenin outside.As long as nobody go near their anemone can liao.Eventot intro new fishes,they r not interested with it.Think they r aggressive to clown fish onli keke...

Think wat most of u ppl suggest is tat i fish out my Purple tang n dottybk 1st b4 intro new fishes..

sigh...They r damn hard to catch man... <_<