Calcium Reactor Media

scarab

• SRC Member

Previously, I was using ARMS and my reactor was bubbling like 2 to 3 bubbles per sec ... the cal and KH in the range of 450 - 500 ppm and the KH in the range of 10 -12 KH ...

Recently I change to rowalith C .... maintaining cal at 500ppm and KH at 13.

But my Mag is dropping fast .... I just buff up the mag to 1350 ....2 days back .. and now it is at 1290 ... looks scary to see it drop so fast .... and the KH is not holding well ....everynight will drop 3 dkh ...Wonder whether it is the media... which is causing it ;)

• SRC Member

Isnt 3-4 bubbles per sec pretty high? If I run my current CR like that, I will end up with a huge CO2 bubble that will bleed off through the effluent output. Mine works out to 1 per sec with a fast contd drip drip drip as fast as you can read this drip drip drip drip. :)

Is yours on solenoid? I dont know, I find it quite useful so if i need to up the concentration, I just run it longer.

I guess that is pretty high but any lower bubble count, I won't be able to maintain any of the levels I want. :( You can only up your bubble count if you have a big CR else the CO2 will saturate and cause a big bubble in your reactor or your worse your media will melt. :lol:

I'm not on a solenoid. Have one but never use. Anyway I run my CR 24/7. Only worry is power breakdown.

• SRC Member
I dont know.. maybe i didnt dial in properly for my CR, using Rowalite C+.

But 3 to 4 bubbles per sec? Wow that is quite high. I only use 1.5bubbles per sec. If 3 to 4 bubles can work for me so that i dont need to dose any more, will try it. Only concern is kH and pH.

Like I said bro, you got the get quite a big CR for you to up your bubble count to this level. Else you will end up with more problem.

• SRC Member
I using rowalith C. The media are fine like #1 sand, not sure if changing to that will give you better results due to the larger contact surface or not.

Maybe with the larger contact surface you can run a higher effluent flow?

How long have you use the media, weileong? The parameters ok? I have heard good and bad reviews on Rowalith. Need to get more affirmation before changing coz changing media in the CR damn headache one.

• SRC Member

I'm using ARMS too, i dont need to dose MG leh.. my current tank runs at MG- 1400, CA-430, KH-8.3, PH-8.1, bubble count 2-3/sec, effluent - continous dripping. I do face low KH problem in the past , what i did was increase the bubble count and effluent ;)

Bro, it will depend a lot on your stocking level and the growth rate of your corals too. My stocking level is like over the top lah. When you substantially increase your stocking level, check your parameters again. I think your Mg may not be able to hold.

BTW increasing your bubble count and your effluent drip rate at the same time may not have any positive effect on the effluent readings. If you do that, some of the additional CO2 will just be dripped into your tank as more effluent is flowing out of your reactor bringing some of the unused CO2 with them. The additional CO2 should remain in your reactor as long as possible to give the CO2 the longest reaction time, better if you have a second chamber. Reaction time even longer. :lol:

You should stay with your same effluent drip rate and up the bubble count. Test the parameters of your effluent until you cannot up the bubble count anymore (trapped CO2, no change in effluent parameters), then you increase your effluent drip rate and monitor the parameters in your tank.

• SRC Member
Previously, I was using ARMS and my reactor was bubbling like 2 to 3 bubbles per sec ... the cal and KH in the range of 450 - 500 ppm and the KH in the range of 10 -12 KH ...

Recently I change to rowalith C .... maintaining cal at 500ppm and KH at 13.

But my Mag is dropping fast .... I just buff up the mag to 1350 ....2 days back .. and now it is at 1290 ... looks scary to see it drop so fast .... and the KH is not holding well ....everynight will drop 3 dkh ...Wonder whether it is the media... which is causing it ;)

Ouch!!! :(

• SRC Member

Btw,

Bro Scarab,

Just need to ask you the following.

1) when u use ARM, do you need to change the media? and how do you know when you need to change? Or just like rowalit that no need to change, they just depleted and all is needed is to top up more.

2) I have a CR from deltec, is it possible to add a second chamber from a local diy like RM so that CO2 can dissolve better?

Thanks

• SRC Member
Btw,

Bro Scarab,

Just need to ask you the following.

1) when u use ARM, do you need to change the media? and how do you know when you need to change? Or just like rowalit that no need to change, they just depleted and all is needed is to top up more.

2) I have a CR from deltec, is it possible to add a second chamber from a local diy like RM so that CO2 can dissolve better?

Thanks

1) You need to change the ARM every 6 to 9 months depending on usage. They do not dissolve fully like Rowalith.

2) I think it is possible to add on the 2nd chamber. Check with Joe_P. He might be able to give you the answer.

• SRC Member

1) You need to change the ARM every 6 to 9 months depending on usage. They do not dissolve fully like Rowalith.

2) I think it is possible to add on the 2nd chamber. Check with Joe_P. He might be able to give you the answer.

Thanks bro.

Will check with him. I just afraid that it is those CO2 that makes my algae grows.

:(

How long have you use the media, weileong? The parameters ok? I have heard good and bad reviews on Rowalith. Need to get more affirmation before changing coz changing media in the CR damn headache one.

Scarab, been using the rowalith for about 2-3 months if memory serves well.

So far kH 7 dkh, Ca 430ppm and Mg 1390ppm holding well. Been montoring for the past few weeks and they remain stable.

What I like about the rowalith is that you do not need to pour out the old media like when using ARM. We just need to top up the rowalith. My CR will weight more than 35kg when fully filled so it will be impossible to change the media.

So far kH 7 dkh, Ca 430ppm and Mg 1390ppm holding well. Been montoring for the past few weeks and they remain stable.

What I like about the rowalith is that you do not need to pour out the old media like when using ARM. We just need to top up the rowalith. My CR will weight more than 35kg when fully filled so it will be impossible to change the media.

pouring out the A.R.M is a hassle. :pinch:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Hi WL

You maintain these parameters without dosing additional Ca, ALK & Mg additive?

If it is so, this would be a great CR media :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Hi weileong, what do u mean by there's no need to pour out the rowalith? Do you mean that the rowalith will slowly dissolve? Hence, no need to change media. We only need to top-up?

Hi weileong, what do u mean by there's no need to pour out the rowalith? Do you mean that the rowalith will slowly dissolve? Hence, no need to change media. We only need to top-up?

That is correct, you'll see the level of the media slowly dropping and you just top up accordingly.

Hi WL

You maintain these parameters without dosing additional Ca, ALK & Mg additive?

If it is so, this would be a great CR media   :rolleyes:

Yes that is correct I just use rowalith and nothing else, no dosing of addictives etc. I still check the kH & Ca and Mg once a week just to play safe.

One thing to note is I am running a very high CR for my tank size. I am not sure if running the CR at near it's max capacity affects the effluent parameters or not.

Another thing is if you want to know if something is good or not then ask the "ex" user of that thing as the reefer currently using that product might not have found the problem yet whereas those that switch over to other product might have already found out the cons.