what algae is this?

• SRC Member

yo bros.... anyone with any exp in this kind of algae? it's not chaeto.... but somthinig like that, just softer and it doesn't go asexual...... does it absorb nutrients fast? :huh:

post-6-1111418351.jpg

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

what is GHA?

Green Hair Algae :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Any form growth is a result of orthophosphate uptake; whether organic or inorganic, is still very much is question. However, you can consider any form of micro or macroalgae growth as a form of nutrient export.

Is it coarse and stringy to touch, or soft and flacid?

If its corase & stringy, I know of a very experienced hobbyist who uses these for nutrient export to good effect. Tough as nails and grows like weed.

If its soft & light, suggest you don't use it since it weight indicate low uptake and is possible that it break away from the colony and colonise other parts of the tank.

Actually IMO Chaetomorpha sp. is too overrated. I have experimented with almost all available macroalgae available locally, including the Chaetomorpha sp.. Ulva lactuca and Caulerpa racemosa gave me the best results. Those who received them free from my harvest will testify to that.

However, tank conditions vary from one to another, a good source would be from fellow hobbyists tanks. Tank acclimitised macroalgae will have proven results and better survival rates.

• SRC Member
Is it coarse and stringy to touch, or soft and flacid?

If its corase & stringy, I know of a very experienced hobbyist who uses these for nutrient export to good effect. Tough as nails and grows like weed.

If its soft & light, suggest you don't use it since it weight indicate low uptake and is possible that it break away from the colony and colonise other parts of the tank.

it feels rather soft, not like chaeto, but also it's very strong , don;t break at all unless u use force! :P , and it's growing fast in one area, it did not migrate to other parts of my setup. :)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!