Which brand of Active Carbon is recommended?

dleecool

Choose the GAC which leeches the least amt of PO4....... but most brands dun specifically show u how much PO4 it leeches.

use GAC in small amts in a moderate flow area with regular changes shld give u the best results. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

in wat amount huh lightningstrike?

in small amts........ i know of reefers that use only a few spoonful of GAC in their 60++ gallon tank, changing rowa every few days and his sps r :blink: swee.

but of coz, diff tanks hv different needs and different capabilities to cope with the PO4 induced, etc....... so there is no hard and fast rule to this. best way is to experiment out urself and find out what is best. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
So far tested a few popular brands on the market and 2 not so popular (due to the $$$) brands leaches undetectable PO4.

1. Rowacarbon.

2. Zeovit carbon

These are $$$$ unfortuntely.

WL,

so you are using these two personally? I found out what was fueling my hair algae growth- the carbon. Since removing, HA growth is sharply curbed. Now looking for alternative carbon source, or an in-line fluidized reactor that delivers thru carbon that into rowa. Not too sure hows the flow rate thru that to ensure 100% PO4 leaching is filtered thru ROWA.

WL,

so you are using these two personally? I found out what was fueling my hair algae growth- the carbon. Since removing, HA growth is sharply curbed. Now looking for alternative carbon source, or an in-line fluidized reactor that delivers thru carbon that into rowa. Not too sure hows the flow rate thru that to ensure 100% PO4 leaching is filtered thru ROWA.

I had a hard battle with PO4 few months ago, the PO4 shot up after I removed my Rowapohs when I started zeovit.

Like you I found one of the source of PO4 coming from the carbon so I went around testing those carbon by soaking them in DI/RO (verifed first to have undetectable PO4) for 24hrs then measuring the DI/RO water.

I was using rowacarbon and now zeovit carbon (avaliable from Ocean planet) and both tested for undetectable PO4 in the RO/DI water.

Give you an example, a certain brand from German, I soak 700ml which is the whole small box into 3 litres of RO/DI, after 24hrs the PO4 meter reads 0.1ppm, changed water and soak 24hrs and retest and still 0.1ppm. You can imagine how much PO4 is leached out :P

A bit :off: another source of PO4 was from my DSB, after four or five times cleaning the sandbed PO4 has dropped from an all time high of 0.22ppm down to 0.02ppm.

• SRC Member
is chemipure the one that costs around $10 and has a clownfish on the bottle?

yeap, it has a clownfish on the bottle

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member
I was using rowacarbon and now zeovit carbon (avaliable from Ocean planet) and both tested for undetectable PO4 in the RO/DI water.

Thanks WL,

thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Great source of info- saved my Salifert PO4 tests.

:bow: