more storage space needed for my pc

wolfie

• SRC Member

hi peepz...

i'm facing a serious memory drought. an additional 10-20 GB would be more than enough. unfortunately, all my USB ports are USB 1.0 so i'm at a loss. it wouldn't make sense to buy a USB 2.0 external hard disk would it? on the other hand, is it very troublesome to change the USB ports?

*sigh*

my advance appreciation if anyone could assist me in this problem.

cheers, tia. :D

• SRC Member
clownfish: that thingy is use what slot? if i dun haf the slot how?

what's the price range for the smallest hard disk now? i'm too lazy to check frm HWZ :P

like limbssg, it might be more economical to buy a 160Gb HDD for $150 rather than a portable one...it is by far the most economical in the sense that it has the lowest $/GB

let's say even if u r upgrading ur PC in the future, u can still retain ur HDD ;)

but let's say if u r going for a portable one, u need USB 2.0 to transfer faster... therefore, this PCI USB 2.0 comes in...

it is a PCI card, u just slot it into a PCI slot onto ur motherboard... hmm.. (u noe wat's a PCI slot? it's those white colored slots below ur AGP graphics card)

the price u shld go HWZ download the price lists from shops, u can get a rough guage of how much things r (come on dun be lazy la!) ;)

• SRC Member
roger that.

i'd haf to agree with you on the internal hdd. so what's a gd brand?

thanks for the advice. :peace:

hmm.. personally, i tink hitachi is a gd brand... but no personal exp. with it... WD i hav bad exp with it but it's quite few years back... dunno bout the ones comin out nowadays...

maxtor... quite alot of pple dun like it in HWZ, cos warranty support is not local...

so maybe u can try hitachi/WD/seagate?

but tink i wld still recommend hitachi la...

u noe how to choose rite? difference b/w SATA n PATA ( i tink urs is PATA)

and buy those with 8mb buffer cache ;)

• SRC Member
but tink i wld still recommend hitachi la...

u noe how to choose rite? difference b/w SATA n PATA ( i tink urs is PATA)

and buy those with 8mb buffer cache ;)

ok, i'll look for hitachi HDDs..

you lost me when u spoke of SATA and PATA...

mayb these info will help: mine is a PIII 600mhz, RAM 320mb. i haf no idea on the size of my cache.

• SRC Member

ok, i'll look for hitachi HDDs..

you lost me when u spoke of SATA and PATA...

mayb these info will help: mine is a PIII 600mhz, RAM 320mb. i haf no idea on the size of my cache.

SATA (serial ATA) is the latest sort of connection, which i tink is not suitable for u... u refer to a piece of sim lim square price list, u will see they will specially mark SATA for those SATA HDD...

so u just buy those PATA (parallel ones)... u will see some proce list will mark down prices for 2Mb cache and 8Mb cache...

get those with 8Mb cache... this cache is the HDD cache, nothin to do with ur CPU cache :)

u might wanna find out wat ur motherboard model is... u might hav to flash it with the latest firmware in order to support large disk space ;)

• SRC Member
ok i get wat u mean by the HDD cache...

shucks... mine is an integrated Compaq motherboard. i haf no idea watsoever is the model.

firestream: thanks for the pointer. will keep that in mind.

but u noe ur compaq PC model rite? tink u just go to compaq webby, they shld provide update support ;)

ok i get wat u mean by the HDD cache...

shucks... mine is an integrated Compaq motherboard. i haf no idea watsoever is the model.

firestream: thanks for the pointer. will keep that in mind.

get the 7200rpm with 8MB cache with IDE will do the job.

99% of PC that manufacturer last year wasn't come with a SATA interface.