beckett skimmer

dreamzcape

• SRC Member
according to experience using a beckket/../// i found it very high maintainence....... once u clean the skimmer.... and you on the power...... it does not give u the skimmate you want it.. so u must retune the air once you disturb the skimmer..... very very very high maintainence......

normally in between cleaning of neck/cup, one won't have to tune the air intake. but perhaps only slight adjustment on the gate valve. At least that's the case for me.

• SRC Member
according to experience using a beckket/../// i found it very high maintainence....... once u clean the skimmer.... and you on the power...... it does not give u the skimmate you want it.. so u must retune the air once you disturb the skimmer..... very very very high maintainence......

If you know where the water/bubble level that you normally tune your beckett, its quite easy actually. I normally do not touch the air valves during cleaning unless I wanna switch from wet to dry mode or I find the size of the bubbles not to my preference.

Eric

• SRC Member

If you know where the water/bubble level that you normally tune your beckett, its quite easy actually. I normally do not touch the air valves during cleaning unless I wanna switch from wet to dry mode or I find the size of the bubbles not to my preference.

Eric

yup. this is the holy truth :D

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

haha have beckett confirm will skim. So actually if i apply the usual skimmer principles nothing should go wrong right? My personal observations have been:

1.Tune less air, finer bubbles, water level goes up

2.Naturally the gate controlling the outflow so controls the water level

3.Finer bubbles draw out more DOC

4.Higher level is wetter and lower is dryer.

So i presume that as long u know your bubble size (thereabouts) and the water level that u've been getting the skimmate u desired, nothing should go wrong right?

Anyway still haven't collect yet...still deciding which bank to rob....but the itch is killing me already..

Pic 1.

post-14-1118670071.jpg

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

Pic 2. Nice skimmate

post-14-1118670137.jpg

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

Powered by a md55. My beckett is 6" by 32" without extension.

post-14-1118670211.jpg

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

• SRC Member
Hotlemond, what is the check valve for? Sorry but me still learning about pvc. :blink:

As my skimmer pump is above the sump water level, the check valve will prevent water at the pump inlet from flowing back to the sump when I switch off the pump for maintenence. Otherwise i would have to prime it everytime i restart.

• SRC Member

bros...that means if i don't run it externally i won't need a check valve i presume? meaning from pump in sump up to beckett...then the gate line back to sump...that's all right? oh one more thing....if i run the beckett externally with the gate lower than the sump water level would there be problems? hope u guys understand what i mean.

• SRC Member

hmmz, that would mean that as long as the the water level in the skimmer is higher than the sump it would would flow out right? of course better if the gate can be higher than the sump. anyway thanks about your pm on the lights bro.

• SRC Member

not saying the beckket is lousy..... it is the best equipment for skimming out every molecule of gunk,dirt, fish cr@p out of the water.. but the fact remains that it is one of the most high maintainence skimmer avaliable in the market.... which is why many people are switching with needlewheel like deltec etc etc

• SRC Member

i am not a deltec user. but do we not still have to remove the collection cup, clean neck for deltec? My love for reef keeping would forgave the "extra" attention to unwind some nylon nuts for a beckett. Moreover, the time/attention for daily checks would sum up greater than skimmer cleaning.