got question here

• SRC Member

hi guys....

i know common aquarium litreature and other sources often tell us to suck detritus off our tank and so on to keep water conditions favourable for sps species...

my question is for us sps lovers who have tanks packed with sps and live rocks,,,.... how do we suck detritus underneath our rocks.... confirm there is some or alot of it stuck underneath our rocks????

• SRC Member

:shock: Detritus? :blink::unsure: What detritus? Got detritus meh? :shock:

Joking ah. :bow:

Firstly, scape your rock with lots of cave and minimum contact with sandbed. This will allow the strong flow in your SPS tank to keep the detritus in suspension.

Secondly, you must have strong flow since you are keeping SPS. This will work as above.

Thirdly, get lots of cleanup crew. Nassarius, cerinth, turbo, margherita, bumble bee snails and cleaner shrimps. Get lots of these, they help. A good ratio is 1 snail every 2 gallons of water. So 100 gallon tank, 50 snails (various types) :)

Still, when do water change siphon out whatever you can see.

• SRC Member

ok... thanks bros for the advices... btw mine is a standard 3 feet x18 inch x 18 inch tank.......... i am using tunze6060 and 2 seio820.. for circulation.... which i believe is strong enough a surge to keep sps happy??..... btw... my tank now no sps..... only live rocks...... and is going through a 3 year blackout...... :D:D

on the question of getting a powerhead to blow the detritus off.... how often should i do it???? and will it harm sps by using a current to stir up detritus????

• SRC Member

cobberband, r u 'cooking rocks' in ur main tank? Does this q pertain to the detritus tt will come off during the cooking of the rocks.. or after you've setup the tank?

if its after, you should keep you PH on 24/7.... detritus by itself don't harm corals, when the accumulate too much they get in the way for the rocks/SB to breath... over time they cloged up the 'process' and thats when it gets dicey.

• SRC Member

yup.. i going for blackout for 3 YEARS..... i figure ite life will be busy....... after my ite days .,... i will restart my tank... ya.. for now i run my beckket skimmer 24 hours..... and all equipment run on full strength.... with exception of no lights for 3 years..... or probably 2 years............note there is no animals inside except live rocks.....and a shallow sand bed which i will be taking out within the period of 1 year.....because i know there is alot of detritus confirm will be suck underneath if we never move the rocks around so i was wondering how to get rid of it wothout moving the rocks......