Types of kalkwasser to be used?

yiling

• SRC Member

Just to share, there are many brands of kalkwasser available, i personally use Kent marine.

Besides using a kalk reactor/stirrer, you may wish to try kalk dripping - cheaper and serves its function.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Hi Des,

I have used Reefez and Aquapharm and Tunze. As I am using the Magnetic Stirrer KR, the size of the Kalk is critical, thus I will only share my preference based on whether they works well with my KR.

Aquapharm: Size of of Kalk inconsistent. Sometimes too big sometimes too small.

Tunze: Size too fine for my KR, stirrer unble to effectively mix Kalk.

Reefez: So far the best of the 3, consistent size and can be effectively stirred.

Hope that helps.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Just to share, there are many brands of kalkwasser available, i personally use Kent marine.

Besides using a kalk reactor/stirrer, you may wish to try kalk dripping - cheaper and serves its function.

HI MT,

do u mean by using KR and dripper together ?? :o

ive personally tried dripping, but due to my forgetfulness , i end up dripping once in every 2-3 days...hehe

What's ur constant dkH ?

cheers

• SRC Member
Hi Des,

I have used Reefez and Aquapharm and Tunze. As I am using the Magnetic Stirrer KR, the size of the Kalk is critical, thus I will only share my preference based on whether they works well with my KR.

Aquapharm: Size of of Kalk inconsistent. Sometimes too big sometimes too small.

Tunze: Size too fine for my KR, stirrer unble to effectively mix Kalk.

Reefez: So far the best of the 3, consistent size and can be effectively stirred.

Hope that helps.

Hi gouldian bro,

thanks for sharing.

How long does the kalkwasser last u each time?

Hi Des,

I dun really bother to wait till there is a drop in PH/KH before changing the Kalkwasser. I usually change between 2-3 weeks.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

I had used Coralife kalkwasser (2 years) and now using Aquaz (5 months), cannot really tell the difference. my coraline algae grows quite fast. The only differences are price, Aquaz is much cheaper and the the residue after mixing, Aquaz is negligible while Coralife has a little more residue.

I don't use a CA Reactor, I sue kalkwasser for top up under the slurried method, a quarter to a third tea spoonful to 2.5 liters of RO water every 2 days. Premix for a few hours andp our the whole lot in after lights out. Been doing this for more than 2 years, no problem.

• SRC Member

HI MT,

do u mean by using KR and dripper together ?? :o

ive personally tried dripping, but due to my forgetfulness , i end up dripping once in every 2-3 days...hehe

What's ur constant dkH ?

cheers

I mean use drip method in lieu of using a reactor, that is only if, the drip method can keep up with the calcium usage in your tank (otherwise a calcium reactor might be better).

The drip with the kalk can serve as top up quite conveniently as you need to top up the drip container once every 3-4 days (average) with the kalk solution prepared instead of performing water top-up every day.

My dkh has been quite consistant at 8dkh (only once in a recent measurement did it jump off the record due to too high calcium addition utilising calcium powder !!!) for now my drip will suffice in providing calcium to my tank.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

I mean use drip method in lieu of using a reactor, that is only if, the drip method can keep up with the calcium usage in your tank (otherwise a calcium reactor might be better).

The drip with the kalk can serve as top up quite conveniently as you need to top up the drip container once every 3-4 days (average) with the kalk solution prepared instead of performing water top-up every day.

My dkh has been quite consistant at 8dkh (only once in a recent measurement did it jump off the record due to too high calcium addition utilising calcium powder !!!) for now my drip will suffice in providing calcium to my tank.

ok thanks MT !!

too late ..i bought the KR liao

hehe