Use which pump?

• SRC Member

actually..dymax 4000l/hr shld be enough..but quality wise...can try ehiem or sicce..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

Rio14

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

:thanks:

So does it mean that i can buy any punp rated 4000l/h?

Technically you can use any pump or flowrate as long as your DIY overflow can take it.

Generally the minimum required flow is 5 x your total vol. But some of us push it as much as 10 - 15x our volume.

Points to consider while choosing a return pump:

1) Make - Asia made pump unfortunately have been known to be overated in term of performance. For non-pressure rated pumps go for the Germans.

2) Pressure rated - For a 2 ft tank, you need not get a pressure rated pump but do get one that with higher head. (Head = distance and numbers of joint = resistance to the flow)

3) Heat - I believe you will most likely to using a submersible pump. As such do consider the heat transfered to the tank. Being a 2 footer, heat is one thing that you need to maintain constant.

4) Efficiency - Always check on the wattage the pump consumes vs the flow it is able to render. eg. Pump A uses 30watt to push 1000l/h while Pump B uses 80watt for 1000l/h. Obviously the Pump A is mpre efficient.

My 2 cents ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

: ).... what is ur tank's vol? in liters. assuming ur sump is smaller... I'm sure you don't want an empty sump in seconds after starting it up

Gouldian :bow:

BTW, what do u mean by pressure rated?

Clownfish: My budget prefably ard 60 (Those mid range ones). i want to get those reliable and reputable, not those super cheap 1. But oso not eheim, can't afford...

Madmac: My sump oso 2x1x1, same as the main tank, so how?

:thanks: all

Gouldian :bow:

BTW, what do u mean by pressure rated?

Clownfish: My budget prefably ard 60 (Those mid range ones). i want to get those reliable and reputable, not those super cheap 1. But oso not eheim, can't afford...

Madmac: My sump oso 2x1x1, same as the main tank, so how?

:thanks: all

Pressure rated pumps are very powerful pumps that manufactured, tested and rated to be used in a high head-loss envirnoment that is due to too many elbows, turns, too high an elevation of the outputs or any situation that create high back pressure.

These pumps usually are bigger and have higher flows of minimum 2500l/hr and above thus not really suitable for your 2ft set-up. Unless you intend to have one pumps to be tee-off (Share) to return, FR, chiller, closed loop etc. But for this will will need lots of pipping works. ;)

Return is one of the most important pump in your whole set up thus, I will strongly urge you to get Aquabee, Eheim, Oceanrunner or even SICCE. You can always get 2nd hand from our Pasar Malam forum. It is definitely well worth the $$$. :D

Usually a 2 x 1 x 1 after sand and LR will contain ~10gal or 38l of water. The minimum return I suggest is the Eheim compact 1000 which is ~$50 brand new.

:idea::lol::D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

I don't have a sump. (I wish I do).. I'm jus saying that the consideration you give is more than jus deciding which return pump you choose.

Generally speaking, most would consider, that the sump(return) rate should be 3 to 5 times your tank volume. so if your tank vol is 50l then your return rate should be 150 to 250 l per hr... only... don't kid yourself into thinking that getting a 4000 l/h return pump is good, because more is better or because you want to achieve a 50 times tank flow turnover.. the two things don't add up, they are completely separate.

You'll need to design the sump first, if you haven't already done so, then depending on the design(piping included), you choose your return rate... it comes second to your design.

• SRC Member
Hi,

I have a 2x1x1 tank and diy a sump system. My cabinet is about 2ft high, so what kind of pump with what flow rate is suitable for the return pump?

Sounds like a problem sum... :lol:

Any recommendations??

Get a 2ndhand Eheim 1260 (abt $80) and run it externally so as not to contribute heat to your water. The 2500l/hr flow from the eheim will give you sufficent turnover rate plus wavemaking if you add in a SCWD at the outlet follow by two returns to the tank.

End result - 50X turnover rate, reliable operation, dont even need any powerhead or wavemaker inside the tank & 60W power consumption.

p/s: If at any one point you feel the flow is too much and your overflow can't cope, you can always add a tee off to other equipment like a FR/CR.....etc

or for recycle operation back to the sump. More turnover rate is always good, your skimming will benefit from it.

Eric

• SRC Member

unless you have some equipment at the sump to tee off and also tee off to a few return outlet at the display tank, or a manifold, 4000 l/h is too strong for a 2 feeter.

I am using Ehiem1262 with 3400I/h, 4 elbows, 5.5 feet vertical lift and still considering a rainbar to soften the dreaded laminar flow.

I am using 2 large and 1 small Seio for circulation

• SRC Member

Eric, this is not a critique to your suggestion. :)

I don't consider it as good design to leave everything to one single pump. Even if you do tee it off, its like spaghetti coding, inelegant and prone to errors.

If you're pushing up 2000l/h whether splitting to 2, you'll still need to down 2000/h too, you could v. easily flood one or empty the other.. no matter how you look at it and using the CR/FR to slow flow is difficult design and best avoided.

The tank is small, all it takes is more pumps and electrical outlets. KISS

:thanks: bros,

I went to reborn today and bought myself a pump, a 1300l/h sicce indra, the uncle say tat is enuff 4 my tank already. I haven realli tested it coz my pipes r not up yet. Hope it works. All ur advice r appreciated!!

:thanks: bros,

I went to reborn today and bought myself a pump, a 1300l/h sicce indra, the uncle say tat is enuff 4 my tank already. I haven realli tested it coz my pipes r not up yet. Hope it works. All ur advice r appreciated!!

SICCE is good enough for 2ft, thus suit your purpose.

As for whether it suit 4ft? I will reserves the comments for myself. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of: