Condition for Finger Leather coral

clowntrigger

• SRC Member

Hi guys

Can you advised what kind of lighting(dim, med, strong), current(weak, med, strong) for the above coral? Are these guys photosysthesis kind? Is there a best time to feed coral, like when the light is out or is it anytime in the day? I have these like 2 days ago, want to make sure everything is right for it.

post-7-1037064222.jpg

• SRC Member

Photosynthetic. I don't know what species this coral is as I am really lousy with softies, maybe Capnella spp.

Medium light under MH or direct FL with moderate current should be fine. This type of coral is highly adaptable.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Definitely photosynthetic. Should be a Sinularia sp. Very undemanding. Will thrive in medium & strong light. I have one in mid tank under MH and it seems more colourful (green fluorescence) than its daughter at the far side taking indirect MH light. However, do give the coral some height as it grows upwards more than it does sideways. Once it senses it has reached the surface, it might start growing sideways. Very prolific grower and after a couple of months, you might yourself having to prune its branches regularly so that it does not "umbrella" those corals lower in placement and deprive them of precious light.

• SRC Member

Hi Clowntrigger,

Happened to come across some old pics while doing my archiving and thought of just sharing with you how prolific a grower the finger coral can be.

Here is a pic taken on 29/5/2002 in my 12 gal Nano. The 2 pieces were removed from my main tank in March cos it was being savagely bitten by my Bicolor cherub for more than 6 months. Lost almost 70% of its polyps. In this pic (3 months after removal from main tank), it has fully recovered and the polyps have all grown back and fully expanded.

post-7-1037725478.jpg

• SRC Member

Here is the same finger taken on 14/11/2002 in the same tank, approx 5 1/2 months later. The top piece have been fragged with 50% of it pulled out together with the button polyps that have become fused to it. The bottom piece is still as it is. Its almost 4 times the size it used to be and there are so much more branches now that it is starting to block out light to those corals beneath it.

So be prepared. :blink:

post-7-1037726121.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Stenopus Hispidus, need some advice from you. Recently, my finger leather is not showing up with its polyp for like 5 days. It will expand in the day and then contract in the night, just like it did when its polyp are out. I did notice that the surface of the leather is shiny, so is this a normal cycle for a finger leather to behave in that way? Will the polyp grow back in a couple of days more? Please advised, thanks.

• SRC Member

Kinda busy with work lately that's why have not been posting much.

Not to worry Clowntrigger. This renewal process your leather finger is going through will take some time. Normally, it will shed its "shiny skin" within a week but I do have a few pieces that have given me a shock by not opening up for a full 20 days! Your water is also OK since you observed that it is still expanding in the day (only without polyps). That's a good sign.

If I am you, I'll still sleep peacefully. Leather fingers are really hardy.

Anyway, if you have lost yours, you can always ask me for a replacement. I am beginning to find them much like weeds...just j/k :lol: If only acropora grows like them!!! :blink: