Duration Of Lighting

'play' corals??

I think you can buy fake corals to play... very long-lasting and indestructible unless you drop them repeatedly. :P

Best thing? You don't need MH, chiller, big skimmer, calcium reactors! :)

• SRC Member

Hi!

it depends a lot on the type of lighting you use, the live stock you keep, the depth of your tank , etc.

I run 2 X 150w MH from 3pm to 10pm- 7 hours + 4X36w PL Blues 2pm-11pm 9 hours.

Basically to cut power costs down and time the lighting so I can be home to view me tank.

hope that answers you question

cheers :

riot

• SRC Member

You use the light to simulate sunlight. So when you see the sun, switch on. And then sunset, switch off. But then you can always use a timer. B)

Long duration not equal intense lightning. It is based on wattage. If you want to keep SPS corals then most would recommend you run MH lights. For starter get mushroom and buttons hardy one so you know that your water parameter is ok and also there are cheaper and if wasted also not so heart pain.

• SRC Member
can i switch on my lights for 12 hours when night comes instead of daytime? cos i like to see my tanks at night.

I think many does that. You might want to consider also moonlight (mostly LED based one, look under DIY forum) which allow you to see the tank at night and not disturbing them.

So you have moonlight for the night, actinic light for sunrise and sunset and daylight for the rest.

• SRC Member

I think many does that. You might want to consider also moonlight (mostly LED based one, look under DIY forum) which allow you to see the tank at night and not disturbing them.

So you have moonlight for the night, actinic light for sunrise and sunset and daylight for the rest.

i'm not at home during daytime. during nightime, i like to see my tank.

• SRC Member

HI!

Doesnt really matter when you switch on the lights, as long as you ensure that the intensity is high enough, and the duration long enough, for your live stock. Also, you should try to keep to a regular timing schedule eg- lights on 6pm, lights off 6am daily so as not to shock them.

cheers

riot