Skimmers

IanJ

• SRC Member

Few tricks to good needlewheel skimmers:

1. Good transition from main body to riser tube. Most people have problem or cannot make a good curved transition. To make a good one will cost more to fabricate or end up making one that is not good enough.

2. The needle wheel pump and the most important thing in the skimmer: the needlewheel. Using a off the shelve pump and put in a needlewheel is still not good enough, due to reasons which I try not to post. The design of the needlewheel is also important. Have to understand a bit of fluid dynamics to grasp how well a needlewheel should work.

The rest are quite standard work ( body, pipings, fittings etc)

Not me - just wondering if anyone is up to the challange and become a name in the global market.

I think more work is needed on the design of the needlewheel, particularly in terms of the venturi/air intake. Most i have seen are rather crude affairs.

• SRC Member
particularly in terms of the venturi/air intake. Most i have seen are rather crude affairs.

Good to know how the Bernoulli's principle can be applied to the venturi intake. :D

Bernoulli's principle: At points in a moving fluid where the potential energy changes is very small, or zero as in flow through a horizontal pipe, the pressure is low where the velocity is high; conversely, the pressure is high where the velocity is low.